Page updated on 11-23-2017

UK Customs and Excise Update

drunken monkey
02-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Right, just a quickie.

I received a parcel from Japan yesterday that was correctly labelled and marked for customs and on it was clearly stated that anything over 15 from outside of the EU is liable for customs charges/VAT with all items valued over 135 liable for import duty as well.

Of course, there is also the 8 handling charge imposed by HMRC on top.

Hadn't ordered anything outside of the EU for a while and thought it was still the old(?) 30something before charges/duties.
This was also the first time such a clear label was stuck onto the parcel so I thought it would be good to note, especially with so many nice new things on the market these days (i.e from HLJ)

bradfordian
02-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Think its 17 limit, that can be that the value of the item is 17 or the value could be lower say 14.00 but they can add the price of shipping ontop to make the value at or ovet 17.00.

Basicly its just touch and go cos I have had an item marked correct from japan that cost me 20+ amd its marked in yens,3000+ and I got postman knocking my door and handing over then I might get usa package marked for $10 and I get a silly 2 customs and 8 handling and its royalmail.

realy its just a case of touch and go, the marked value dosnt always count as you could buy a gold ring for 500 amd it could be marked 1 on box.at the end of the day its the border agency person who decides.

then the question of whom is handling the package is a factor as it could be a lazy git who just put the box in the bin or a stern hit who checks every package and dont believe everything thats written on the label.

jano11
02-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Looks like the Brits learned from the Austrians! Around here they started this several years ago, and they will always add the shipping costs to the price. In some cases they even open the package and come up with a corrected value for the stuff instead of just accepting the value declared on it. It's hallucinating stuff, they must be on some kind of mushrooms!

drunken monkey
02-13-2014, 04:39 PM
it's more the 15 as the threshold that I am pointing to.

not sure when they changed it but it was definitely 35ish a few years back. You can get a decent kit and a few small items legally under the limit back then that you most definitely can't with 15.

bradfordian
02-13-2014, 05:24 PM
it's more the 15 as the threshold that I am pointing to.

not sure when they changed it but it was definitely 35ish a few years back. You can get a decent kit and a few small items legally under the limit back then that you most definitely can't with 15.

ues couple years or so ago it was in the 30's 's, think it was 37.now its 17, more likey it was changed so gov gets more tax after all they put it up by 5% from 15-20, so makes sense to get tax also from border control on excise.also couriers makes millions through supposed handling charges.
:)

stevenoble
02-13-2014, 06:19 PM
It's been 15 for a while, but it's hit and miss. I got stung on two of the three McLarens I ordered, but one slipped through with no charges at all. I've just ordered a MFH Brabham BT52 at 180 and I just know it's going to get pulled...

MPWR
02-13-2014, 08:27 PM
Oh, those customs. And here I was hoping for some cool British designs....:rolleyes:

jimken
02-17-2014, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the update.

Kaj45rpm
02-17-2014, 03:51 PM
15 is a joke frankly but so are most things for the man on the street in the UK. I've been stung for the last3 kits I've bought from Japan. It makes them not really viable as a saving. I could understand if people were ordering loads to sell on at a profit but enthusiasts like ourselves are just trying to keep a hobby affordable. Pisses me right off.

hirofkd
02-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Did you use EMS or SAL? From what I've read on shipment from Japan, EMS packages are treated just like private carrier (like FedEX, DHL etc.) packages, and all of them are subject to custom inspection, while standard postal service packages (like small packet and SAL) are searched at random.

kopek
02-18-2014, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the update.

There goes my new lens from Japan from a company who clearly state that they will not 'undervalue' the goods on the label.

Add your comment to this topic!