Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

P0008

dagan06
02-11-2014, 09:57 AM
2009 Equinox Sport 3.6L 73000 miles V6 2WD My engine light came on code P0008. The ECM has detected both camshafts for bank 1 are misaligned with the crankshaft for more than 4 seconds. It is running fine but I don’t want to drive it as I don’t want to damage anything. Could this just be a faulty sensor? I don’t want to have to replace the timing chain and gears. Any information would be helpful!

gmtech1
02-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Unfortunatly the problem is most likely mechanical. Either a problem with the chain and/or tensioners. Or the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft has moved. This particular code will not be set by a cam actuator or solenoid and is designed specificaly to keep an eye on the timing chain itself buy monitoring all the cams for timing issues. If reluctor on the crank has moved, the crank will need to be replaced. Inspection of the crankshaft reluctor wheel usually means dropping the pan, but them you need to know what to look for. A bore scope can also be used, if there is one handy. I'd recomend taking to a dealer and spending the diagnosis time to find out for sure.

j cAT
02-11-2014, 06:40 PM
The problem you have is common with this engine. some questions what oil do you use ? viscosity ? synthetic or regular ? frequency of oil changes ? change oil when the engine is hot and running for at least 30 min ?

the problem appears to be with using low quality oil and going too long on oil changes .

if you use regular oil and run it for 5,000mile between changes I can believe your p0008 code.. about 3,000 to fix ! dealership only has the repair details good luck..............

dagan06
02-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Took to the local dealer and was a cracked plug on a sensor.

gmtech1
02-18-2014, 07:01 AM
That's great! That is usually a very expensive code!

j cAT
02-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Took to the local dealer and was a cracked plug on a sensor.

that ???sensor ,,,with the cracked connector that did not happen by itself..something smashed it..

Add your comment to this topic!