Page updated on 11-18-2017

Clear coating over silver spray praint.

5spdstang
02-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Just a dumb question.......In all my years of model building, I have yet to find a clear coat that doesn't dull and mess up the perfectly laid down coat(s)of silver paint I spray on.

Has anyone got a magical product or tip. I find that with silver paint, no matter how long it dries, unless its got a clear coat on top....it always gets blemished with fingerprints, etc.

Thanks
Ash.

hirofkd
02-10-2014, 07:43 PM
For the base color, I use synthetic-lacquer-based acrylic, like Tamiya and Mr. Hobby Spray, as well as the bottled Mr. Color, Gaianotes, and Finisher's paint. I don't clear coat enamel or water-soluble acrylic.
When synthetic lacquer is used, I don't remember having any problem with Testor Gloss Clear, Tamiya TS-13, Mr. Spray Clear, as well as the bottled Finisher's Urethane clear, Gaianotes EX Clear, and Mr. Color Super Clear.
And while I haven't tried the newer Testors One Coat Wet Look Clear (my current favorite!) or Model Master Ultra Gloss spray cans on silver yet, my hunch tells me that they will work, too.

5spdstang
02-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Thank you Sir, I'll see what I can find :)

OWhite3
02-10-2014, 09:42 PM
I don't know if this helps but this truck has Duplicolor silver cleared with Future floor polish. Seems very smooth to the touch and fingerprints wipe off.
http://images53.fotki.com/v1502/photos/2/2889092/12729808/photo-vi.jpg

5spdstang
02-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I think I'm gonna give floor wax another go..I tried it years ago and wasnt impressed, but....A lot has changed in 15 years :-P

Add your comment to this topic!