Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Toyota Tercel won't start

abvp
02-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Car was starting fine yesterday, kind of, except it kept stalling out. Car started having issues with stalling out after it started getting cold. We have ice and snow here. It eventually did start yesterday though.

Well, it seems to want to try to start, but instead it is a low humming sound instead of its usual noisy sound.

Car has a new battery and alternator already. Car has over 209k on it. My dad thinks it has something to do with starter. I had him on speakerphone listening to the noise it was making.

82Stang
02-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Does it have full battery power? Did you check with a voltmeter? Should be 12+ volts with car off. The low humming could be because it doesn't have full power. Is it tuned up, good plugs, cap, rotor etc? How long has this starter been in there? Might be something to that.

abvp
02-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Does it have full battery power? Did you check with a voltmeter? Should be 12+ volts with car off. The low humming could be because it doesn't have full power. Is it tuned up, good plugs, cap, rotor etc? How long has this starter been in there? Might be something to that.

It's most likely the starter we've figured. I've basically been replacing this car piece by piece since I got it less than a year ago. The battery was over 9 years old when I replaced it. I think I'm going to sell it and get something with less mileage.

Add your comment to this topic!