Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

finally found myself a 1/12 rx7

dada man
02-06-2014, 09:48 AM
got my holy grail today. been after this for so long. I couldnt resist trying out other wheels for fun

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u318/dadaman_photos/1560560_10151826364636580_1415908382_n_zpse2711221 .jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u318/dadaman_photos/1507132_710933755617887_1338129077_n_zpsebf4591f.j pg

CrateCruncher
02-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Good score. I had this kit a few years ago but sold it with most of my other big-scale. I recall from your pic that the box was absolutely HUGE! I'd love it if you did a build log so I can see what I missed.

da_ashman
02-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Awesome!!! Seen some of these on ebay for $500US, super over priced!!
Cant wait to see what you do with it!

dada man
02-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys. Im busy doing a review on the kit as we speak. ill post the link in a bit

dada man
02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
heres the review as promised.

http://studiopinnovations.com/big-one-really/

star21
02-15-2014, 01:17 AM
I've been away from these forums for quite a long time but I find it hilarious that every time I post my 1/12 models for sale, 99.9% of people aren't interested or gawk at the price of a 1/12 scale. Then of course there's the rest of the 0.1% willing to pay and looking for a rare 1/12 don't seem to find my posts/listing. I don't expect absolutely insane pricing like those businesses on eBay but I'm not going to part with my babies for the price of a 1/24 scale.

Can't deny it, though, I love and still love my big 1/12 sports and super car models. Still have my FD3S RX-7, Z32 300ZX, NSX Pace Car, HKS R32, Veilside Drag R32, Enzo, and Porsche GT. Not to mention the essential classic F1 cars from Tamiya. I would say just about all my 1/12 models are for sale but the 0.1% interested won't see this post! :rofl:

jano11
02-15-2014, 06:39 AM
I've been away from these forums for quite a long time but I find it hilarious that every time I post my 1/12 models for sale, 99.9% of people aren't interested or gawk at the price of a 1/12 scale. Then of course there's the rest of the 0.1% willing to pay and looking for a rare 1/12 don't seem to find my posts/listing. I don't expect absolutely insane pricing like those businesses on eBay but I'm not going to part with my babies for the price of a 1/24 scale.

Can't deny it, though, I love and still love my big 1/12 sports and super car models. Still have my FD3S RX-7, Z32 300ZX, NSX Pace Car, HKS R32, Veilside Drag R32, Enzo, and Porsche GT. Not to mention the essential classic F1 cars from Tamiya. I would say just about all my 1/12 models are for sale but the 0.1% interested won't see this post! :rofl:

Your point being?!
PS: There is a classifieds thread in this forum if you want to sell your stuff, no need to badmouth 99.9% of the model builders because they look for a better price.

dada man
02-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Great that you ave a few. yes these prices can go quite high and I wont lie at times im not sure if they are really worth the price but im talking about ones ive seen on ebay. I was very fortunate to get mine else where so it didn cost that much. What are you selling your kits for?

nugundam93
02-15-2014, 07:07 PM
i'd go for the veilside rims for the FD. now your post makes me regret not getting the other 1/12 fujimi skylines that my local hobby shop had years ago. lol!

star21
02-16-2014, 12:22 AM
Your point being?!
PS: There is a classifieds thread in this forum if you want to sell your stuff, no need to badmouth 99.9% of the model builders because they look for a better price.

That was a highly exaggerated (i.e. 99.9%) and honestly, just a simple sarcastic remark that was typed and probably interpreted wrong. No need to jump to false conclusions or get butt hurt. I know there's a classified section I've used it many times before but I was merely sharing my personal experience in this topic, not hocking my wares. Heck, I haven't used eBay in years. You're right, though, model builders are always looking for better prices but just to let you know there is a difference between finding a better price and low balling.

I just found it funny that the OP mentioned he was waiting a really long time to find one of these when there are others out there trying to do the exact opposite but just don't have the correct timing.

Next time I'll be sure to use this... :sarcasmsign:

Great that you ave a few. yes these prices can go quite high and I wont lie at times im not sure if they are really worth the price but im talking about ones ive seen on ebay. I was very fortunate to get mine else where so it didn cost that much. What are you selling your kits for?

I apologize if you or anyone took that post as bragging but it's really not. Again, I just found it ironic that there are people looking for rare goods and can't find it when there are others trying to sell rare goods but can't find anyone interested. Anyway, good find.

dada man
02-16-2014, 02:16 AM
lol I didn't take it as bragging at all. I was merely stating u do get lucky with them in terms of prices but yes they are a lot more expensive. And when I meant they are not always worth the money I was talking about the quality of the kits and the prices they asking. FOr instance the Hasegawa z32 is extremely expensive but its not really worth that money. A good friend of mine built it and he was very disappointed in the kit and for what he paid it was not worth it. Yes it is very rare which makes it expensive but its not value for money. I am still interested to hear what your prices are. I always have people asking me about 1/12 kits

jano11
02-16-2014, 12:18 PM
lol I didn't take it as bragging at all. I was merely stating u do get lucky with them in terms of prices but yes they are a lot more expensive. And when I meant they are not always worth the money I was talking about the quality of the kits and the prices they asking. FOr instance the Hasegawa z32 is extremely expensive but its not really worth that money. A good friend of mine built it and he was very disappointed in the kit and for what he paid it was not worth it. Yes it is very rare which makes it expensive but its not value for money. I am still interested to hear what your prices are. I always have people asking me about 1/12 kits

The 'best' part with all those very expensive 1/12 kits is that most are very old molds and the kit is only valuable as a collection item. As soon as you try to put it together, you discover that the quality is not that great and you'll have to spend thousands of hours to make it look as good as a run of the mill Tamiya 1/12th kit, that costs between 100-150 Euro.
The worst part is that once you remove the parts from the sprues to do a test assembly the kit already lost half of its value.
IMO patience pays off, just like it did with Tamiya re-releasing most of its 1/12 kits a few years ago.

Enough ranting from me.
Enjoy your kit! Looking forward to the WIP thread. :smokin:

jano11
02-16-2014, 12:20 PM
That was a highly exaggerated (i.e. 99.9%) and honestly, just a simple sarcastic remark that was typed and probably interpreted wrong. No need to jump to false conclusions or get butt hurt. I know there's a classified section I've used it many times before but I was merely sharing my personal experience in this topic, not hocking my wares. Heck, I haven't used eBay in years. You're right, though, model builders are always looking for better prices but just to let you know there is a difference between finding a better price and low balling.

I just found it funny that the OP mentioned he was waiting a really long time to find one of these when there are others out there trying to do the exact opposite but just don't have the correct timing.

Next time I'll be sure to use this... :sarcasmsign:

Thanks for clarifying your previous message. Highly appreciated.

willimo
02-16-2014, 08:07 PM
I am still hoping that someone will make a small run of modern wheels in 1:12. My NSX sits in a box waiting for decent wheels. I guess I could just make a set on Shapeways, but perhaps 1:12 and the price tag make me reluctant to start the kit and the inevitable mistakes that will ruin it...

The RX-7 is the only other 1:12 kit I would want, the car is undeniably beautiful and 1:12 will make an incredible model. Can't wait to see your work!

star21
02-17-2014, 02:32 AM

What a person pays for a kit I think definitely affects how much the buyer loves/hates the kit. The NSX kit by Rosso I actually think is a pretty good kit. You can definitely tell the difference of course between 1/12 kits made back then and those made today (i.e. Tamiya Enzo, Porsche GT, etc.) but the Rosso kit is still pretty good, IMO. I may be also biased but I love my Fujimi HKS R32 (probably only because of the livery :rofl:). The resin body parts on the Veilside Drag R32 are complete ill fitting crap like almost all of Fujimi's earlier attempt at resin pieces.

What I was pricing the models at before when I was trying to sell them really depended on which one. I ranged them at $90 for the standard classic Tamiya F1 cars, all the way up to $300 or so for the other rare kits. This of course is no where near the $400-850 range that ridiculous eBay sellers were asking for. I didn't expect to strike it rich off of selling the rarer ones but I wasn't about to part with something I searched and waited for so long only to practically give it away. Hell, whenever 1/24 resin Porsche GT1 kits come up for sale they sell for astronomical prices, something I'll never understand. :sly:

xerox3
02-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Congrats on finding your grail kit.It looks good in the box.Oddly I just finished watching Initial D on netflix and youtube in which this car is featured. Looking forward to the build.

dada man
02-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys i cant wait to get started lol.

@will I will be doing wheels soon.

willimo
02-19-2014, 10:28 PM
This kit also has my all time favorite box art. I'd frame it on the wall. It's a score all around.

Add your comment to this topic!