Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lean Codes P0171 P0174 Intake Seals Repair

makuloco2000
02-04-2014, 11:24 PM
These are starting to pop up again at our dealer and decided to show what the concern is all about and how to fix it up step by step. The check engine light will set but you may not notice any performance issues. Hope this helps!

HgHDhNzBJ8w

sgonzaleze85
03-01-2014, 06:37 PM
I have seen your video which I think is great. In my case I have a windstar 2003 too and I have the same codes. I have cleaned all and changed the pcv valve because I saw a lot of oil in the pcv plenum port, but after 1 day the engine light came back again . So I checked the pcv line port and found oil again. I have not replaced the bolts and that is my question. Replacing the bolts will solve the problem of oil that pass trough the pcv line? Or what shoud I have to try before replacing bolts? Thanks.

wiswind
03-02-2014, 05:04 PM
The seals won't stop the oil that you are seeing.
Your 2003 will have the improved front valve cover with the improved baffle under the PCV valve.
I would use a genuine Motorcraft PCV valve so that you have the correct flow rate......they are not expensive, even from the dealer (but more than the generic ones at auto part stores).
I did this with my '96, AND installed a catch can (in my pictures) and I STILL got some oil in the big flex hose.
Messy and annoying, but I did not have any significant oil consumption or other issues and I had 229K miles on it when I sold it.

I would check the PCV line from the PCV valve to the upper intake manifold.......mine did develop a crack on the inside of the elbow......a vaccum leak.
The oil and heat causes the rubber to weaken and crack/collapse over time.

makuloco2000
03-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Replace the pcv with one from motorcraft that has the correct flow rate. Otherwise these always have a good amount of oil in the intake from the pcv system carryover totally normal. You must replace the intake gaskets and isolator bolts just as shown in my video and you will be all set.

oldgearhead
05-14-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm in the middle of the TSB for the intake plenum, and what I didn't find was a baffle inside the top of the clam shell! However, I know it has been running at least 40K miles without one. 2001 Windstar has developed a miss, so I decided to remove the hood, cowling, spark plugs, plug wires and coil pack. Then install:
__Dorman 615-177 kit for the lean problem
__New plugs, plug wires, & coil pack
Should I trace down a baffle for the upper plenum? What does it do anyway?

12Ounce
05-14-2014, 08:13 PM
The baffle helps smooth the air flow down into the cylinders. It would be best to have one ... but is obviously not necessary for it to run.
Oil in the PCV valve and hose assembly is quite normal ... don't worry about it.
The intake hold-down bolts have a special rubber grommet around them that actually supports the whole upper intake assembly, including the throttle body. Quite some weight, and as the engine shakes about as we accelerate and brake ... these grommets get quite a twisting. In time, they will wear and start leaking air. This leakage air is not measured by the MAF sensor ... so it sets off the codes.

makuloco2000
05-14-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm in the middle of the TSB for the intake plenum, and what I didn't find was a baffle inside the top of the clam shell! However, I know it has been running at least 40K miles without one. 2001 Windstar has developed a miss, so I decided to remove the hood, cowling, spark plugs, plug wires and coil pack. Then install:
__Dorman 615-177 kit for the lean problem
__New plugs, plug wires, & coil pack
Should I trace down a baffle for the upper plenum? What does it do anyway?
Those baffles fall off and make noise, someone found the problem and just tossed it out to be cheap is all.

Mustang_Driver
05-15-2014, 01:30 AM
I did that repair last September and i have no codes but i have 1 sensor that won't set now it's the Evap Sensor or a blinking EV light on my scanner but other than that the van runs fine and haven't had any other problems other than no insurance so it's been parked ever since Jan this year. but there is one difference on my 2001 is that the DPFE isn't bolted to the intake plenum it is a little black plastic box right by the valve cover i can get the part number later but just watched the video and noticed that i have a different DPFE.

12Ounce
05-15-2014, 08:29 AM
There was an upgrade from a metal skinned DPFE to a total plastic one ... I'm not sure exactly when this happened, but I replaced mine on the '99 sometime along the way.
.... and the location of these sensors is changed from year to year, I believe. Some models have them mounted on the firewall.

oldgearhead
05-15-2014, 01:03 PM
I did that repair last September and i have no codes but i have 1 sensor that won't set now it's the Evap Sensor or a blinking EV light on my scanner but other than that the van runs fine and haven't had any other problems other than no insurance so it's been parked ever since Jan this year. but there is one difference on my 2001 is that the DPFE isn't bolted to the intake plenum it is a little black plastic box right by the valve cover i can get the part number later but just watched the video and noticed that i have a different DPFE.

Yes the one on my 2001 doesn't have the mounting ears, and the connector is different from the one that mounts on a vertical surface. The Motorcraft pn for
the 'free-standing-one' is DPFE-4, (4U7Z-9J400-AA)..

oldgearhead
05-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Very nice video complement to leckemby's detailed 'how to' do the TSB.
Also, before re-installing the lower half of the clam shell it's a good idea
to look around at everything. I found the rear Intake Manifold Runner Control
rod and retainers 'missing' from my 2001 Windstar. It's going to be far easier to
fix with the lower plenum removed.

oldgearhead
05-17-2014, 10:12 PM
Hummm, how did this thread change from intake manifold and egr pressure sensors to brake kits?

Mustang_Driver
05-18-2014, 01:20 AM
LOL!!!!!!... Not sure how it happened but it's still a intake/egr forum sorry that somehow got pasted in here

makuloco2000
05-18-2014, 10:58 PM
Hummm, how did this thread change from intake manifold and egr pressure sensors to brake kits?

As stated I could not answer his question due to private messaging not working, and I am the OP so...
Anyway I will delete now that the question has been answered.

Add your comment to this topic!