Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Life expectancy - 99 328i

Stites
02-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Hi all!

I'm looking at a local car for sale, in very good condition(as far as the pics show), but it has over 200,000 miles on it! The guy selling it says these cars have been known to go over 300K, and while I have huge respect for the BMW brand, I'm a little leery of those high miles. Other'n that, the price is reasonable, and I love the way the car is built both cosmetically and structurally.

With that in mind - ASSUMING PROPER MAINTENANCE - would I be a fool to buy a 99 328i with over 200,000 miles on it?

*EDIT: By the way I believe it to be an E46, if that makes a difference. EDIT*

*EDIT AGAIN: It's an automatic, too. EDIT AGAIN*

MagicRat
02-02-2014, 02:07 PM
A well cared-for BMW will last a long time. However, any car with 200k miles will need considerable, ongoing service and repairs, since many mechanical parts will be nearing the end of their lifespan.

Unfortunately, BMW parts and service are more expensive than for the average car. It is not worth it if you have to look after these costs.

So, if there are service records showing lots of valuable work was done AND the price is low, the car may be worth a closer look. Otherwise, give it a pass.

walidmax1974
02-06-2014, 10:36 AM
dear sir ... There are many sites to sell used cars, but I advise you to choose trusted sites and even global operations are not exposed to the monument in exotic locations
thank u

Stites
02-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks, guys. My wife isn't exactly a BMW fan, so we passed on it. She'd have been the one driving it mostly, and we really need an SUV anyway.

Add your comment to this topic!