Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car dying

RomanCA
01-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Hi,

First, let me say that I am very new to cars, and don't really know a whole lot. Started driving barely two years ago.

I have a 1994 Corolla, and it's at 107,000 miles now.
Recently it stalled on the freeway, and I had to put in $600 to replace the distributor. That's what they told me that it needed at Firestone.

They also told me that the gasket valve cap is leaking and that the sync belts are worn out and may stall it again any time soon. I don't currently have the $ to fix those two issues, so I only paid for the distributor.

I have no knowledge of automotive maintenance, and so can't verify that the information is correct.

I noticed that the car shakes much more now, but it could be just my being more sensitive and paranoid.

Today, I started driving to work, but noticed that when I am stopped at a red light, the break pedal sends a strange vibration occasionally.

I don't know what could be causing this, but I decided not to risk it and just return home. I don't know if the car is safe to drive anymore.

I am now facing a dilemma. I can either go and repair the gasket valve cap and the sync belts for another $300 or so after I get the next paycheck, or I can look for a replacement car to buy. I am not sure I can afford even a used vehicle now. On the other hand, if I just repair my car, it may die soon anyway, and it will be money lost.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian R.
01-29-2014, 06:08 PM
I think they were trying to sell you a valve cover gasket (AKA head cover gasket) and accessory belts.

1. Your valve cover gasket may well be leaking, but it will not cause your engine to run rough or stall. Don't worry about it unless you are loosing a lot of oil on the ground when you park or have to add a quart of oil during an oil change. There are other potential sources of oil leaks, so don't go by those guys' opinion on where it's leaking. Take it to a real mechanic recommended by someone you trust.

2. Same for the accessory belts. They may be worn out, but they are relatively easy to replace by you. Buy a Chilton manual or a Toyota Field Maintenance manual and find out how to do it. Ask someone you know for advice and over-the-shoulder observation. You have to start somewhere. Actually, they may not need to be replaced and only need to be tightened. It's difficult to tell if they're worn out when they're on the car. Take them off and bend them backward a bit. If you see cracks, then they need to be replaced.

It sounds like your engine needs spark plugs and maybe some fuel injection cleaner in the gas tank.

Buy the recommended plugs made by DENSO or NGK and look in your Chiltons or Toyota manual for the procedure to replace them. Make sure you put some anti-seize compound on the new plug threads before you insert them, and then torque them correctly.

For the fuel injection cleaner, there are a million types at an auto parts store. I like Chevron, but there are many good ones. Just put a container full in the gas tank when it's full and drive it. See if this and the plugs smooth out your engine.

For better clarity, please include the engine designation in future posts.

RomanCA
01-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Now I remembered, - timing belts.

Brian R.
01-29-2014, 07:59 PM
I would get the timing belt changed, along with the water pump when you can. Your engine will not become damaged by a broken timing belt, but if it gives out, you will be stranded with a non-functional engine. There is no easy way to tell if your timing belt is going to die tomorrow, or last another 20k miles.

Don't have a Firestone or other tire dealer change your timing belt. Get a real mechanic with recommendations for that job.

RomanCA
01-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks a lot. This is very helpful.

Add your comment to this topic!