Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wrong Anti Freeze Type Cause Damage

tinkering
01-28-2014, 12:09 PM
My 1996 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4X4, according to the manual, should use DEX COOL (1996 to 1998 inclusive). I was unaware of this, and I think the previous owners may have been too (there was a jug of regular AF in the truck). I have been adding regular ethylene glycol for a few years. Have I caused any serious damage in doing so; should I do a flush and replace it with DEX COOL? Is it time sensitive now; do I need to move ASAP?

j cAT
01-28-2014, 01:51 PM
My 1996 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4X4, according to the manual, should use DEX COOL (1996 to 1998 inclusive). I was unaware of this, and I think the previous owners may have been too (there was a jug of regular AF in the truck). I have been adding regular ethylene glycol for a few years. Have I caused any serious damage in doing so; should I do a flush and replace it with DEX COOL? Is it time sensitive now; do I need to move ASAP?

the use of dexcool with the green silicate type coolants will cause damage if mixed together. what happens is the coolant system gets clogged.

many with vehicles of this age removed dexcool because GM screwed up on using engine/coolant system materials that dexcool would soften and damage. one item was the plastic intake manifolds used on many engines.

if the system is clean continue to use the silicate type coolants. do not use dexcool .

the proper way to change from dexcool to silicates is to drain the engine using the engine drain plugs. remove thermostat. place water hose in the thermostat bore until water runs out clear. put the goose neck back no thermostat installed fill up the coolant system and run until the water hose flushing is clear .. then drain the engine and install your coolant . I would use 60% antifreeze to 40% distilled water. new thermostat.

Add your comment to this topic!