2001 Regal GS Power Steering

irbf
01-21-2014, 09:03 PM
2001 Regal, 107K miles, 3.8SC, power steering pump making loud whine, in the past a whine indicated a little low on fluid, add fluid and problem solved.

Adding fluid this time does not solve issue. Still loud whine proportional to engine RPM.

Questions:

1.) Does this car have a filter that potentially needs changed (plugged)?

2.) Replacement of pump required?

Your reply is appreciated...

gmtech1
01-22-2014, 11:20 AM
2001 Regal, 107K miles, 3.8SC, power steering pump making loud whine, in the past a whine indicated a little low on fluid, add fluid and problem solved.

Adding fluid this time does not solve issue. Still loud whine proportional to engine RPM.

Questions:

1.) Does this car have a filter that potentially needs changed (plugged)?

2.) Replacement of pump required?

Your reply is appreciated...

No filter. Noisy pump usualy indicated air in the system, is the fluid foamy looking at all? Can you see tiny bubbles in it? You may try bleeding the p/s system. If the pump vanes are worn they airiate the fluid also, this would require a new pump. Are there any leaks at the lines or the gear? Not only can leaks allow fluid to escape, but they can also draw in air in to the p/s system.

irbf
01-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the information. I do not see any air in the reservoir however it is not easy to view in such a remote location. The fluid is very dirty. I am guessing the pump needs to be changed as perhaps the fluid reflects deteriorating vanes. Accessing this pump appears to be a real PITA without a lift to reach the lines from beneath.

gmtech1
01-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the information. I do not see any air in the reservoir however it is not easy to view in such a remote location. The fluid is very dirty. I am guessing the pump needs to be changed as perhaps the fluid reflects deteriorating vanes. Accessing this pump appears to be a real PITA without a lift to reach the lines from beneath.

A lift helps, but a floor jack and stands will work. Take the r/f wheel off, get to the lines through the wheel well. There is a electrical connection attatched to the back of the pump resivoir, be sure to take it off. If you take the tensioner pully and the water pump pully off you can get the pump out through the top. It's a little like a combonation lock to get it out, twist a little left and a little right, but it will come out. Oh, and the coolant tank needs to come out also. Sounds tough, but it's really not that bad.

irbf
01-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Replaced pump. After all that trouble it did not fix the problem. Ouch!

Pump removal was not too bad with access to the lines from bottom with wheel removed.

Reinstall of the new pump was very difficult to get first bolt started. A two person job using tape on bolt and socket.

With the noise I could have sworn it was the power steering pump. Sounds just like when the pump is low on fluid.

I wonder now if the whine is related to the supercharger. I removed the plug from the supercharger oil fill and I see oil but it is not to the bottom of the threads.

Noise is directly proportional to engine speed and very consistent in tone.

gmtech1
01-25-2014, 01:39 PM
To isolate the supercharger, remove the belt and start the engine, is the noise still there? A mechanics stethascope comes on handy to isolate noises like this, they are fairly inexpensive from most parts stores.

irbf
01-25-2014, 01:44 PM
excellent idea... when I warm up will try that

Tech II
01-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Sure it's not the water pump/alternator/compressor?

If you don't have a mechanic's stethescope, a long extension sometimes can isolate it....but be very careful using it....those belts are moving fast.....

It can be a pain in the ass trying to isolate the noise by removing the belts.....

irbf
01-26-2014, 09:33 PM
The problem turned out to be a bad bearing in the idler pulley on the path for the super charger. The tensioner felt as though it was soon to have problems as well so I replaced both.

GMTECH1 Thank-you. I was so convinced from the sound that it was the power steering pump I did not do the normal troubleshooting. Big mistake!

The car now has a reman power steering pump. It has a new tensioner and idler on the SC circuit. GMTECH1 you were absolutely right with removal of the one belt! Geez...

It is worth noting as well that through this whole process I inspected the SC oil level and it was low. After a visit to the local GM garage it has been topped off as required to bottom of threads with the $12.75/4oz stuff.

LESSON LEARNED: Troubleshooting pay attention to EXACTLY where noise coming from.

gmtech1
01-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed!

Add your comment to this topic!