Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Do I need to replace my ignition cylinder?

ASJT3
01-20-2014, 09:47 PM
So...on my '90 Sierra 305, the ignition cylinder tumbler has always been pretty loose, allowing me to take the key out while running the car. About two months ago I noticed that I was able to turn the ignition cylinder without even inserting a key (which was hilarious and also super-convenient).

After forcing the cylinder to turn without a key, I started to notice some binding and from time to time I would have to re-insert a key to get rid of the binding.

Now, I can't start the truck - she gets no fuel. I suspect this has something to do with the forced ignition. The truck ran and drove fine up until I noticed that it wouldn't start so I don't suspect the fuel pump, although it's clearly not sending fuel. I think that the ECU is not getting switched on.

Will a simple ignition cylinder replacement solve this problem? Does the ignition wire from the ECU wind up through the steering column to the ignition cylinder?

Thanks,

Alex

rhandwor
01-21-2014, 07:04 AM
So...on my '90 Sierra 305, the ignition cylinder tumbler has always been pretty loose, allowing me to take the key out while running the car. About two months ago I noticed that I was able to turn the ignition cylinder without even inserting a key (which was hilarious and also super-convenient).

After forcing the cylinder to turn without a key, I started to notice some binding and from time to time I would have to re-insert a key to get rid of the binding.

Now, I can't start the truck - she gets no fuel. I suspect this has something to do with the forced ignition. The truck ran and drove fine up until I noticed that it wouldn't start so I don't suspect the fuel pump, although it's clearly not sending fuel. I think that the ECU is not getting switched on.

Will a simple ignition cylinder replacement solve this problem? Does the ignition wire from the ECU wind up through the steering column to the ignition cylinder?

Thanks,

Alex
Their is a rod from the ignition cylinder to the ignition switch on the steering column.
Does the starter turn over?

ASJT3
01-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Their is a rod from the ignition cylinder to the ignition switch on the steering column.
Does the starter turn over?

Thanks. Yes, the engine cranks strong, but no fuel delivery. Could this rod be broken from all the forced starts?

rhandwor
01-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Thanks. Yes, the engine cranks strong, but no fuel delivery. Could this rod be broken from all the forced starts?
Go to the ignition switch the pink wire feeds the distributor. Also check the fuses use a test light or a DVOM and check for voltage on the pink wire. The rods have a tendency to bend as it pushes on the ignition switch. These are easily available at the junk yard. The switch isn't far from the bottom of the dash look with a flashlight.

Add your comment to this topic!