Page updated on 11-22-2017

Using Finisher's Silver

Some_Kid
01-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Hi guys my order of finishers silver finally arrived yesterday from Hong Kong. The flake is very fine and I think I'll be pleased with it. I've been searching for a very fine silver for a long time.

My question is what type of thinner should I use for this paint? It looks to be just a little too thick out of the bottle to spray. I only have 1 jar of this paint and I don't want to waste it. I figure regular automotive lacquer thinner would be too harsh. Has anyone used Tamiya thinner or Gunze with this product?

Lastly if anyone has any models they finished in this color I would love to see some photos of it. I was only able to find one example online, here:

http://www.theavanti.net/obu.html

Your help is always appreciated. Thanks!

stevenoble
01-19-2014, 03:05 PM
My question is what type of thinner should I use for this paint?

The best thinner is Finisher's Pure Thinner. But if you can't get that then Mr Color Leveling Thinner works just as well..

Some_Kid
01-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Okay thanks Steve. Also, I was planning on using Testors Wetlook clear for this. What would be a good thinner for it? I've air brushed it before without thinning with good results but I really want to eliminate as much orange peel as possible.

Do you think Mr. Color thinner would work with the testors clear too?

stevenoble
01-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Okay thanks Steve. Also, I was planning on using Testors Wetlook clear for this. What would be a good thinner for it? I've air brushed it before without thinning with good results but I really want to eliminate as much orange peel as possible.

Do you think Mr. Color thinner would work with the testors clear too?

Not sure, as I've never used any Testors products before. What kind of clear is it, enamel, lacquer or acrylic..??

Some_Kid
01-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Not sure, as I've never used any Testors products before. What kind of clear is it, enamel, lacquer or acrylic..??

It is a lacquer clear but it is a separate line from their other lacquer clears, such as gloss or ultra gloss clear. They may all be the same but wetlook clear seems to dry especially fast and isn't very "hot" compared to the other lacquers.

Add your comment to this topic!