Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whats Flash?

Thor302
06-22-2003, 11:03 PM
Ive heard a few people refer to somthing called flash on model kit could some tell me what that means, thanks!!:sly:

TheSyndicate
06-22-2003, 11:38 PM
I've heard the term meaning the point where the glue becomes tacky enough to hold itself, I think I also heard it meaning extra plastic that is left on from the factory.

supratuner
06-22-2003, 11:51 PM
If im not mistakin, it can be refered to paint or glue etc... when its dry on touch. Maybe not %100 dry, but when you touch it, you dont get any on your hands

I believe thats what it is.

bigfrit
06-23-2003, 01:38 AM
It's the extra bits of plastic not supposed to be there, usually can be found on the part-trees .

olivier

chrismcgee
06-23-2003, 02:44 AM
flashing comes from either a dirty old man in a park with no undergarments who is hell bent on exposing himself, or, it's when an inferior mold or a very worn mold develops a gap between the mating surfaces, then when it is released from the mold the flashing comes with the sprue.

tamiya are excellent at making the molds but it is incerdibly expensive for the tooling, hundreds of thousands of pounds go into the creation of the molds, to obtain the excellent quality, where as i have now bought 2 AMT/ERTL kits and every piece has had flashing on. gets very annoying having to scrape and sand it off :iceslolan

Add your comment to this topic!