Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing Outer CV Boot 1996 Chevy 2500 4x4

tinkering
01-16-2014, 09:01 PM
I have the front end up in the air so I might as well change the broken passenger side outer CV boot. Do I need to take the hub off to get it done, or is it possible to remove the boot, take the joint apart (how?), slip the new boot in place, reconnect the joint halves (how?), then do up the boot clamps? I have changed a couple in the past, and can probably figure it all out but can somebody make life easier on some of this? :cwm27:

gmtech1
01-16-2014, 09:23 PM
I have the front end up in the air so I might as well change the broken passenger side outer CV boot. Do I need to take the hub off to get it done, or is it possible to remove the boot, take the joint apart (how?), slip the new boot in place, reconnect the joint halves (how?), then do up the boot clamps? I have changed a couple in the past, and can probably figure it all out but can somebody make life easier on some of this? :cwm27:

The axle will need to come out for the boot replacement, unless you go with a split boot style replacement (I don't recommend them). After the axle is removed, place it in a vise and cut off the old boot and clamps. The outer joint is held on by a internal retainer. A few good smacks with a brass hammer will knock loose the joint. The outer joint should be taken apart and cleaned and inspected. After reassembly, re-greasing and clamping the boot (special pliers are usually required) you can then reinstall the axle..........

...or just save some time and replace the axle assembly. They are probably cheaper then you think, and less time and work.

MT-2500
01-17-2014, 08:49 AM

No need to remove hub.
Unbolt axel shaft from rear end and remove outer axle nut.
On some you also have to remove sway bar link bolt.
Them slide axle out.
AS GMteck1 said sometimes better and about as cheap to just install a rebuilt axle shaft.

tinkering
01-17-2014, 06:52 PM
No need to remove hub.
Unbolt axel shaft from rear end and remove outer axle nut.
Them slide axle out.
AS GMteck1 said sometimes better and about as cheap to just install a rebuilt axle shaft.

The parts store had a brand new unit for $152.00. I bought it. When I unbolt the flange at the transfer case, does the unit just come off or is there some kind of keeper there?

gmtech1
01-17-2014, 07:47 PM
The parts store had a new unit for $152.00. I bought it. When I unbolt the flange at the transfer case, does the unit just come off or is there some kind of keeper there?

After unbolting, it should come loose. It may require a little friendly persuasion from a hammer, but no retainers, just the bolts.

tinkering
01-28-2014, 02:31 AM
The axle will need to come out for the boot replacement, unless you go with a split boot style replacement (I don't recommend them). After the axle is removed, place it in a vise and cut off the old boot and clamps. The outer joint is held on by a internal retainer. A few good smacks with a brass hammer will knock loose the joint. The outer joint should be taken apart and cleaned and inspected. After reassembly, re-greasing and clamping the boot (special pliers are usually required) you can then reinstall the axle..........

...or just save some time and replace the axle assembly. They are probably cheaper then you think, and less time and work.
Thanks for the detailed instructions for replacing the boot, although I took your and MT-2500's suggestion to consider replacing the whole shaft.

tinkering
01-28-2014, 02:38 AM
No need to remove hub.
Unbolt axle shaft from rear end and remove outer axle nut.
Them slide axle out.
I elected instead to undo the lower shock bolt and pull the shock out of the way to make room for the drive shaft R+R. The sway bar link looked pretty old and rusty, so I figured I would not risk breaking it off. The shaft replacement went well, thanks.

MT-2500
01-28-2014, 10:51 AM
I elected instead to undo the lower shock bolt and pull the shock out of the way to make room for the drive shaft R+R. The sway bar link looked pretty old and rusty, so I figured I would not risk breaking it off. The shaft replacement went well, thanks.

You are welcome and thanks for posting back how it went.
No many take the time to do that or even say thanks.
Good Luck

tinkering
01-28-2014, 11:48 AM
You are welcome and thanks for posting back how it went.
No many take the time to do that or even say thanks.
Good Luck
I think that following up with the results (if it is at all possible to find the time), and due thanks is a major parts of the forum process. I want my threads to be of some assistance to other people down the road too, not just to me. I know that members who have offered up assistance like to know what the results were too. I am very grateful for the oodles of help I have received from Automotive Forums, since I joined nearing seven years ago. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Add your comment to this topic!