Page updated on 11-18-2017

Paint booth for zero paints

aieridis
01-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone,

Is there anyone that can recommend a proper spray (paint) booth for toxic paints such as the Hiroboy Zero Paints?
Thanks a lot
Alex

CFarias
01-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Any paint booth that can give you 0.4 to 0.5 meters/second across its opening should be adequate, provided that it exhausts to the outside or into a charcoal filter.

it should also have a filter to protect the exhaust fan.

You'll find a great deal of discussion on this topic by searching the site. Also, building one yourself is not as difficult as it sounds once you understand how they work.

Hope this helps.

Hemi Killer
01-16-2014, 03:59 PM
I made my own. It's not fancy but it works. I used white posted board from the crafts store, cut it to the sizes I needed and duct taped it together. Then I got an 80 cfm bathroom cieling fan and cut a hole in the back of the booth and set it in. Then I hooked up the ducting, which goes out the window when I paint.

stevenoble
01-16-2014, 06:51 PM
This is the one I'm using below. You can make your own, but I went for a purpose built one from day one and have never regretted it. I would say it's the best modelling related purchase I ever made. I spray Zero paints and lacquers with absolutely no smell whatsoever, so as you can imagine it's a very pleasant working environment. I've had it for a number of years and it comes with a lifetime warranty too. The only slight drawback was the cost of the filters at around 14 each. However I have now sourced two rolls of the exact same material that the filters are produced from, in fact the stuff I've bought is slightly better quality. One is the glass fibre 'paint stop' netting, the other the fabric 'scrim' that fits behind. I now make my own filters straight off of the roll. The cost..?? Around 30 pence for a filter change. I've calculated that the two rolls should last nearly 13 years and that's with 6 filter changes per year. Anyway picture below. It's the Graphic Air A300S-D. The 'D' is for ducted. You can pass the duct through an open window or plumb it in permanently, it's up to you.

Link to website

http://www.graphicair.co.uk/products/GraphicAir-A300S-D-Airbrush-Spray-Booth.html

A300S-D

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/stevenoble/IMGP4225.jpg

Hemi Killer
01-17-2014, 03:54 AM
Steve, does it use carbon filters? How often do you need to change it?

John18d
01-17-2014, 05:46 AM
Wow Steve - your work place is as impeccable as your model building.
I'm embarrassed to say my work place is an absolute mess.
Did you ever see the picture of Einstein's desk??
that's my work place. - lol
Cheers
John

stevenoble
01-17-2014, 06:03 AM
Steve, does it use carbon filters? How often do you need to change it?

No it doesn't use carbon filters, but you can get carbon filters if you desire to. It uses a two stage filter. The first stage is a fibre glass 'paint stop' material, which traps any wet paint and the bulk of the over spray. Then there is a second denser layer of material which filters out anything that is left. The filtered air is then exhausted through the long grey pipe to the outside, either through an open window, or you can plumb it in for a more permanent fixing..

aieridis
01-17-2014, 01:45 PM
thanks a lot guys, all the info is very useful. I am thinking to buy the Graphic Air one, probably...

UKPonchoMan
01-20-2014, 04:01 AM
No it doesn't use carbon filters, but you can get carbon filters if you desire to. It uses a two stage filter. The first stage is a fibre glass 'paint stop' material, which traps any wet paint and the bulk of the over spray. Then there is a second denser layer of material which filters out anything that is left. The filtered air is then exhausted through the long grey pipe to the outside, either through an open window, or you can plumb it in for a more permanent fixing..

Steve,

Could you advise where you got the replacement filter material from - sounds like it would save us all a fortune!

Chris

Add your comment to this topic!