Page updated on 11-19-2017

Gauges used for wiring/plumbing

Hemi Killer
01-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know approximately what gauges of wire are used for detail wire, radiators, spark plug wires ,etc? None of my local stores have anything that small and I was hoping to order online. Buying the little packages from hobby companies adds up.

bradfordian
01-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Kynar wire should be good, I am waiting still after nearly 2 weeks for an ebay seller to get wire I ordered off them for this purpose.

I have handled the stuff before and have a tiny bit I just looked at.dont get too small an awg.30awg is quite small but I say its rather good for 24 scale or around that scale.it dont crinkle like solder wire does, you can bend it amd straighten it although it is a little stiff its not too stiff.obviously single core.and best is you dont have to paint it and comes in multitude of colors,usualy with no markings on it.

what 50awg is like I dont know but 30awg should be good.

I asked for the same info hoping someone would actualy tell me what and point me to it but I did homework and having console chipping experience I handled 30awg so know its cool.
:)

bradfordian
01-16-2014, 01:38 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/se9gde.jpg

thats 30awg wire I hold there.compared to top studio supplied wire thats on that 1/24 engine its bang on.

Hemi Killer
01-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Thank you

someone just posted this for me on another forum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge#Tables_of_AWG_wire_sizes

bradfordian
01-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Just be sure to get single core, it will bend and stay put better than multistrand.

John18d
01-17-2014, 05:57 AM
Nice detail in the picture Bradfordian
John

bradfordian
01-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Sorry I should correct something, the higher the awg the thinner thr wire.do if the pic has a 30awg wire in my hand if you want thinner get a higher awg ie:40awg,without checking up I dont know the guages of awg to go thinner its a case of googling or pot luck on ebay.

CrateCruncher
01-19-2014, 01:35 PM
I like detailing. It is a lot of fun. So many comments and tips on this site.

drunken monkey
01-19-2014, 01:53 PM
y'know, I mostly use what looks "right".
my go-to selection is 0.15mm and 0.30mm

Lately, I've been using Plastruct and Evergreen round rods more and more as they are better for holding a shape when bent, which is especially useful for some of the more complex plumbing in some engines. Having a pipe or oil line hold its position to mate with the corresponding part on the engine is useful.

Specie
01-20-2014, 03:34 PM
I use plastic rods a lot too for oil and water pipes as well.
Because I don't have a large stash of fine electrical wires and solder and don't have a budget too buy it, I just take a piece of brass or steel wire from a spool and brush paint it black. Just bend it to approximate shape before painting or the paint will flake off. The texture of paint can resemble the insulation of the wire.

Add your comment to this topic!