Page updated on 11-20-2017

How to glue fabric seatbelts?

stevenpae
01-14-2014, 02:57 AM
Hi Guys.

does any one have a suggestion how to glue fabric seatbelts?
normally i use for example ZAP super glue, but with that, they get hard and sometimes change in color.

thanks

sjelic
01-14-2014, 06:30 AM
Double sided bonding tapes, you can get them anywhere, even thou I tend to use CA also but apply it on the parts like buckless or points where I have double fabric so it does not come through the fabric.

Kjenjak
01-14-2014, 07:06 AM
I use transperant drying white glue for these things. It doesn't affect the fabric, you can't see it even you take a bit too much, and the fabrice even stays soft (a little).

thijs37
01-14-2014, 06:05 PM
I dont know the name of this glue in the states...In Europe there's this Brand called "Bison" bisonkit (neoprene contact glue) its used to glue soles of sneakers, carpet, plastic, wood, leather...etc etc it will stay flexible and wont discolour/affect the fabric or makes it rock hard but will make a strong bond. I even use it for some PE...after applying the glue you let it dry for a few seconds so it wont smear all over or affect your freshly painted bodyshell/clear parts! it also wont fog clear parts!

MPWR
01-14-2014, 08:51 PM
I've never been able to get fabric or ribbon seat belts to look good. They don't seen to drape properly, and to my eye they always look as though they just don't belong.

I have had much better experience with strips of masking tape. Cut it to width, color it with a marker, stick it in place, and paint as necessary. Seatbelt webbing has a very fine weave, small enough that it is hardly visible in 1/1. Weave-less tape is a better simulation of this than a coarsely woven ribbon.

sosofast
01-14-2014, 09:48 PM
I purchased some glue in a fabric shop. It's called hypo gs. It's also found in Micheals arts and craft in the states called bead glue. It works good on clear parts and I've even used it for small etched parts

CrateCruncher
01-15-2014, 11:27 PM
All sound good.

Witto
01-18-2014, 01:13 PM
I use a rapid vynilic glue. I put a little quantity of this glue where I want to fix the belt, and then I leave it in place with Tamiya tape, paper tape or a tweezer.

Add your comment to this topic!