Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 c2500 heater control problems

broughy84
01-10-2014, 04:03 PM
I have a 92 c2500 cheyenne. It's just a base model nothing special work truck with a 4.3 and 198k on it. The problem started yesterday after I replace a battery that the cold weather zapped.

Let me start out by saying the heater controls function fine. When I reconnected the battery, immediately my a/c clutch engaged. I started the truck and turn the heat/ac panel off and it disengaged. Not trusting it, I unplugged it, as I need my truck to start in the mornings to go to work! So I drive to the store last night and shut the truck off and the heat controls stay on as does the blower fan! I reached over and hit the power button and the fan and display went off. I didn't think a bunch about it.

Tonight on the way home from work it did it again. I drove around town then shut the truck off and it did it again. SO I pushed another button to see if it would switch vents and it shut off. I'm puzzled!

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them? I AM BAFFLED!!!

777stickman
01-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Try disconnecting the NEG batt cable for 15-30 mins. Just a thought.

Schurkey
01-11-2014, 12:57 AM
If the heater control in the dash is anything like the one in my '88 K1500, they seem to be cold-sensitive.

When I bought the truck, the heater control was so goofy I pulled it apart, and re-soldered the main connections. Many had cracked, they conducted intermittently. Re-flowing the solder made the system much more reliable.

When the ambient temperature is below freezing, I often have to push on the display to get it to light up and function. Yet another cracked solder connection, I suppose.

broughy84
01-11-2014, 12:25 PM
A little more information on this issue. This only seems to happen if I have the defroster on ( or the a/c ). I'm assuming since the air conditioning compressor is activating as soon as a connect the battery, my issue is a relay issue and it's back feeding power to the control cluster. SO, does anyone know where the a/c relay on this is?

broughy84
01-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Found the issue. Checked for voltage at the relay behind the glove box. Terminal 87 ( going out to the ac system) had 12 V on it. So did the pressure switch on the condenser. So I tracked it in between the two. There is a 3 conductor plug in under the dash ( Red, Dk Grn. and Grn) This had melted between the red and the light green connector. Cut the connector out, wired it together and all is well. Thank you all for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!