Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake light problem like no other!

fj4072
01-09-2014, 01:20 PM
I've done my homework here. 2000 GMC Jimmy 2door. I have no side brake lights, top one works. Hazards, turn signal lights all work. Everytime I replace the brake switch (4-times now), will work for a few days then stop working. However, when I push the brake pedal in further, lights WILL work. I see that there is a Recall from GM on this issue exactly. I followed the instructions to a tee, told me to replace the hazard light switch only, in which I have done. With no identifying #'s on the multifunction switch, evidently these are good.

Now, If I push the brake pedal down a bit to the point of lights not working, I can giggle the pedal, and the lights will light up. I think my problem is the linkage from the booster. The pushrod from the booster is pretty loose, and I don't see where it can be adjusted at all. No nut, no threads. I can also turn the push rod clockwise and counterclockwise very easily, but won't tighten. Just thinking outloud, if that push rod is loose, maybe it's loosing contact with the switch at a weird angle as I depress the brake pedal???? Any ideas out there? I'm at my witsend here need help.

MT-2500
01-10-2014, 08:22 AM
I've done my homework here. 2000 GMC Jimmy 2door. I have no side brake lights, top one works. Hazards, turn signal lights all work. Everytime I replace the brake switch (4-times now), will work for a few days then stop working. However, when I push the brake pedal in further, lights WILL work. I see that there is a Recall from GM on this issue exactly. I followed the instructions to a tee, told me to replace the hazard light switch only, in which I have done. With no identifying #'s on the multifunction switch, evidently these are good.

Now, If I push the brake pedal down a bit to the point of lights not working, I can giggle the pedal, and the lights will light up. I think my problem is the linkage from the booster. The pushrod from the booster is pretty loose, and I don't see where it can be adjusted at all. No nut, no threads. I can also turn the push rod clockwise and counterclockwise very easily, but won't tighten. Just thinking outloud, if that push rod is loose, maybe it's loosing contact with the switch at a weird angle as I depress the brake pedal???? Any ideas out there? I'm at my witsend here need help.
If high mount brake light is on the brake light switch is on.
And no right and left brake light then the brake light signal is not going threw turn signal switch.
Because high mount brake light signal does not go threw turn signal switch.
But rear brake lights do.
Get out the old test light and see where it is losing the signal.
I have had loose plugin connections cause your problem.
Ckeck for brake light into and out of turn signal switch.

fj4072
01-13-2014, 11:31 AM
If high mount brake light is on the brake light switch is on.
And no right and left brake light then the brake light signal is not going threw turn signal switch.
Because high mount brake light signal does not go threw turn signal switch.
But rear brake lights do.
Get out the old test light and see where it is losing the signal.
I have had loose plugin connections cause your problem.
Ckeck for brake light into and out of turn signal switch.

Thanks for your response. I replaced the multifunction switch, (PIA) still had the same problem. I did find FINALLY find that the female black connector that plugs into my brake light switch was burnt. I replaced this pigtail and Wala!, this worked, problem finally solved after 2 months of chasing this.

Add your comment to this topic!