Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1981 C-10 Left turn signal issue

JakeP51
01-06-2014, 01:04 PM
I have a 1981 C-10 which has a problem with the left turn signal. Both turn signal work properly when the switch is turned on, but the left turn signal is canceled by even the slightest movement of the steering wheel. In other words the auto cancel is so close to the straight line driving that making the smallest wheel movement cancels the left turn signal, this is not so for the right turn signal which seems fine. What this causes me to do is to either turn the left signal on repeatedly as I am approaching a turn or simply ride the turn signal switch while approaching a turn. Is there any way to adjust this? The switch is new and was part of the new steering column which was installed. The old column had the same problem prior to replacement. Thanks!

Schurkey
01-06-2014, 11:34 PM
First Guess: Steering column not centered. Nothing wrong with turn signal switch(s)

Second Guess: Column not centered, steering gear not centered, tie-rod ends not adjusted evenly, rag-joint not installed properly, steering wheel not installed properly, turning radius not even left/right. Some moron took a short-cut during a front-end alignment. START by centering steering gear, see which way the steering wheel points.

Add your comment to this topic!