Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

replace entire rack or just outer tie rods?

northern piper
01-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Hi

2000 3.8 with 122000 miles on it. Original rack but I have replaced both inner and outer tie rods about 40,000 miles ago. There is what my family calls a "back massage" (slight vibration) in the seats and I know it's time to replace tie rods. I'm wondering what people think about replacing the rack completely as it'll have new inners/outers and then get an alignment done or just do the tie rods.

Any thoughts/comments fellas?

np

gmtech1
01-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Hi

2000 3.8 with 122000 miles on it. Original rack but I have replaced both inner and outer tie rods about 40,000 miles ago. There is what my family calls a "back massage" (slight vibration) in the seats and I know it's time to replace tie rods. I'm wondering what people think about replacing the rack completely as it'll have new inners/outers and then get an alignment done or just do the tie rods.

Any thoughts/comments fellas?

np

If the rack is not leaking and operating normally, there is no real need to replace it. If indeed your inner and outer tie rods are worn again, then how much more $$$ would the rack cost? If it's not that big a deal to you, and you just want the "peace of mind" of having a new rack in a 14yr old car, then by all means do it. I guess it just really depends on if you want to spend the extra time and money on the car.

northern piper
01-06-2014, 10:06 AM
I guess my big "hmm" right now is, if I replace the outers I'll need to get an alignment.. I hate having to redo the alignment if in a few months I need to redo the rack. The rack seem ok, there's a little tiny bit of fluid on the boot but no leak of even a minute significance. This van needs to last a bit longer yet...

12Ounce
01-06-2014, 01:00 PM
I replace the whole rack ... because you get the inner-rod-ends, new boots and seals, and refaced/repaired teeth on the rack gears themselves. I've once had worn rack gear teeth start binding on me while on a long vacation trip ... not fun!

I wonder how many accidents have been caused by racks that suddenly locked-up on folks? (Just to scare some caution into you.)

12Ounce
01-06-2014, 01:28 PM
.... and, BTW, you only have to pay for the rack once at AutoZone. Warrantied for life.

rhandwor
01-06-2014, 06:04 PM
.... and, BTW, you only have to pay for the rack once at AutoZone. Warrantied for life.
I've found a rebuilt rack was cheaper than than doing both sides.

scubacat
01-06-2014, 10:17 PM
I'd first get the wheels rebalanced. Does it happen steadily, upon acceleration, or when turning?

northern piper
01-07-2014, 07:18 AM
I agree on the balance suggestion for sure. I know that the vibration is partially or wholly caused by other components as when I changed the 4 summer tires to 4 winter the vibration continued. Granted it could also be the 4 snow tires need balance but the vibration is identical. Anyway, I searched around for a new rack and it's going to be $290 before tax and after core rebate. I'm gonna do the outers right now, alignment and tire balance and see how it rolls. If I could get a rack for less I'd put it in but shipping from Rockauto and others just kills me to Ontario, not to mention duty fees.

rhandwor
01-07-2014, 07:39 AM
I agree on the balance suggestion for sure. I know that the vibration is partially or wholly caused by other components as when I changed the 4 summer tires to 4 winter the vibration continued. Granted it could also be the 4 snow tires need balance but the vibration is identical. Anyway, I searched around for a new rack and it's going to be $290 before tax and after core rebate. I'm gonna do the outers right now, alignment and tire balance and see how it rolls. If I could get a rack for less I'd put it in but shipping from Rockauto and others just kills me to Ontario, not to mention duty fees.
With the vehicle on Jack stands motor shut off use a flashlight. Have someone else move the tire in and out. Look at the outer then the inner tie rod end. Replace the ones with excessive movement. Check both sides you may need an outer on one side and an inner on the other side. If you had lube fittings maybe you need two inner tie rod ends.

12Ounce
01-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Can you drive across border and shop at an AutoZone? I find AutoZone very liberal on their life-time warranty programs ... pay for it once, and forget it!

northern piper
01-07-2014, 10:24 AM
well, closest autozone to me is in upstate new york... and that's about 4 hours away on a good day so at least a 9 hr round trip... just "too" far to be economical unfortunately :banghead:

Mustang_Driver
01-10-2014, 08:51 PM
This could also be bad wheel bearings. it just seems to be something that may have been missed. some vans are really hard on the wheel bearings or it could be an out of round rotor.....You didn't specify when the vibration happens so it could be any number of things

wiswind
01-12-2014, 08:15 AM
As others have advised, I would diagnose the issue to determine that the tie rod ends need replacement. The inner tie rod ends should not wear out that fast..
There are lots of possible causes for vibration and replacing parts that don't need it costs $$$.
A shop can do a good inspection for not a lot of $$$ and give you a lot of peace of mind as well as directing you to the problem.

northern piper
01-17-2014, 07:56 AM
so as a quick follow up I thought I'd outline what I did. Ended up pulling all 4 tires, took them to a reputable shop and had them balanced. All 4 required new weights. While the tires were off I took a good look at the inner/outer tie rod ends and essentially found zero play. They were installed 60,000 km ago so that's pretty good in my books. Anyway, I reinstalled the tires and went for a trip down the highway. I'd say the whole vibration problem is gone. This now makes me realize that the summer tires are also out of balance as the vibration was apparent with them as well. (mental note to balance summers...)

so, bottom line, as I've said before, start with the basics and then move to more involved causes of problems. $50 spent to balance 4 tires, van is now smooth...

Add your comment to this topic!