Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Chevy Tahoe cranking probs

1998Dge
01-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Need advice. Have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe (305) Engine having engine cranking problems. It makes a slight grinding noise when normally starting. But sometimes it the noise is loud and seems to lock or seize during cranking. I tried shimming it without success, the gear even stuck in the flywheel. I had the starter rebuilt when the bendix stopped engaging the flywheel. I bought this PU second hand and the flywheel cover had been removed as if this truck has had existing starter problems. Also the flywheel teeth look ok. Any suggestions will help. Thanks in advance.

rhandwor
01-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Need advice. Have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe (305) Engine having engine cranking problems. It makes a slight grinding noise when normally starting. But sometimes it the noise is loud and seems to lock or seize during cranking. I tried shimming it without success, the gear even stuck in the flywheel. I had the starter rebuilt when the bendix stopped engaging the flywheel. I bought this PU second hand and the flywheel cover had been removed as if this truck has had existing starter problems. Also the flywheel teeth look ok. Any suggestions will help. Thanks in advance.
Are all the bolts in the flywheel I've found them loose or cracked but not often. Look at a rebuilt starter are the teeth in the bendix the same diameter.
How many shims did you use this should drop the starter down where the teeth mesh properly. They have only one bolt that goes through the shim the other bolt the shims goes around the bolt but it can be pulled out. I would get three or four and put in one if it still causes noise add another one. Surely it has to work properly. Their is a way you can use a wire and measure between the two gears but I've forgot how to do this. Directions on how to do this are in a rebuilt starter box. I always saved the shims and put in the same amount as I removed.
Will your bolts tighten properly someone may have used a US thread in stead of a metric thread in your case a metric instead of a US I think. A US bolt has hash marks a Metric usually has a number like 9.8 for a GM.

DeltaP
01-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Could be a bent flexplate. They have been known to crack through the hub bolt holes where they bolt up to the crankshaft. They'll make a racket! And the ring gear will bind in the bendix gear.

j cAT
01-05-2014, 09:07 AM

what you need is a new starter . the drive may be re-built , so what about the solenoid ? these electrical devices fail and the drive will not throw or retract properly.

Add your comment to this topic!