Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blown tweeters?

whiteracer
06-22-2003, 03:32 AM
After blowing out my stock rear speakers a couple months ago, i just got some new Kenwood 6 x 9's installed with a small amp that matches another amp powering my jl sub. So for about on day my sound system was crystal clear and loud. Then my right tweeter just starts acting up. And i didn't think tweeters did all that much volume wise, but now it just sounds like something inside it is flapping around when it vibrates. Once every few minutes it will sound normal and you can tell a world a difference when it does, but that's only for like a second. Well anyways, i know if i just disconnect like ripping it out or something that obviously it won't sound as good as it did, but it will get rid of that annoying flapping sound? its sounds like someone flicking a sheet of foil. any suggestions?

killah_xft
06-22-2003, 03:49 PM
just get a replacement speaker, or try adjusting your bass, also some songs I have noticed will push the tweeters/midranges farther than other songs, and they will distort. try adjusting your bass/treb, and see if lowering the settings will help, also try putting a bass blocker in the lines to reduce the kick your speakers take, the sound will be pretty much the same but it will save you some money on new speakers. best thing is to buy bass blockers/impedance blockers ($10-20), and get some new speakers.

AirAllen01
06-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Does your amp have a built-in crossover? If so, the that must be set to High pass frequencies, HPF. Then you can adjust the frequencies as to the lowest frequency you want to allow through your speakers. If not, then you need to buy some crossovers to connect to the speakers. Good luck.

b16a3sol
06-22-2003, 04:37 PM
if its only one of your speakers, it may just be a defective speaker. take a look at it while it is playing to see if there actually is something in there. make sure there are no wires in the way of anything, and that none of them are grounding out when they shouldnt be. worse comes to worse, take that one back and try another speaker.

whiteracer
06-22-2003, 08:49 PM
do/can tweeters normally get blown out? Its only one tweeter so its probably just defective right?

PaulD
06-23-2003, 05:44 PM
they get blown out just like any other speaker, by putting too much power into them

ok, except they are also vulnerable to excursion problems from too much low frequency getting in

Add your comment to this topic!