Whining noise in my Cherokee!

JonnyD18
06-21-2003, 11:03 PM
i have a 95 jeep cherokee sport, its a v6, 4.0 litre...i have noticed that it make this annoying high pitched whining noise after the engine become warmed up. it happends mostly when i release the brakes, but after awhile it will continue a lower pitched whining while coasting. its not the brakes and i dont think that its a leaky air tube, but it could be..it seems to be coming deep inside from the car .i cant figure it out... its very annoying. please if anyone experienced the same thing or may have an idea of what it is, lemme know!!! thanks

grandcherokee94
07-18-2003, 09:03 AM
:bananasmi

Need some help guys,

Had the oxygen sensor replaced in my 94 Grand Cherokee. It was still hard to start and would stall on me. It seems like it is not getting the right amount of fuel and the RPM's get stuck at 2-3 and are not kicking back down. Took it in to a Jeep Service dealership. They had it for 10 days. The technician advised me to have a new computer fuel chip put in. Had that put in in June. After a week it began to do the same thing. Called the dealership service technician and he said that I would have to pay another $100 to have it looked at again. ????? That it was probably the fuel pump. ???? I said.."I have to pay another $100 for u to look at it for the same problem...you put in a fuel chip that I did not need...now you are telling me I need a fuel pump." So I asked..."What happens if I put the fuel pump in and it still has not taken care of the problem?" He said that I had an issue with men and he was not going to talk to me. Guys I need help....I have just put out over $700 in my jeep and I am still having problems.

Here is the problems I am having and any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

I noticed that my radio stations were all back to the lowest settings.
Then I began to have this problem:
It would be hard to start...sometimes 2-3 times to start
Sometimes it seems like it is not getting enough fuel and will act like it is coughing.
RPMs are getting stuck at 2-3 instead of kicking back down to 1-5. This happens every once in awhile.

Do you think that somehow my battery got disconnected and it caused the o2 sensor to reset itself?

Please help me guys.

jamie

DennisG
07-18-2003, 05:29 PM
Jonny...your problem could be attributed to the power steering pump....they can make some nasty whining noises....

spooleffect
07-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Yeah it sound like a Power Steering Prob. What happens when you turn the wheels at low speeds or when at a stop?

BTW- grandcherokee94, don't jack threads please. Your prob sounds like a bad fuel pump.
As for your RPM prob can you explain this in more detail?

grandcherokee94
07-23-2003, 09:56 AM
:eek:
Thanks for the advice spooleffect,

The reason for the hard to start was that I found a loose vacuum hose. The dealership forgot to reattach it and had just stuck it into the manifold to get it out of the way. ???? The RPM's are idling high at 2-3 Rpm's. They do not do this all of the time. It doesn't seem to matter on the weather condition. Sometimes they are fine...sometimes they idle high and do not kick back down. Do you think it may have to do with the hall effect sensor in the distributor? The timing does seem to be off a bit.

Before this all started my radio stations all went back to the lowest setting. My battery had not been disconnected...but I was thinking maybe I had a short. This is when the RPM's began to idle high while driving. It then began acting like the oxygen sensor was bad...but no code. I did have this replaced last August. I am thinking that the hall effect sensor may be bad since it does have an effect on the RPM's...and sometimes this does not show a code. The jeep is not showing any codes.

Thanks for any help spool.
J

stuck
08-04-2003, 09:05 PM
I have what sounds like a similar problem. Mine only happens with the AC on (when warm). The dealer claims its normal, although the noise drives me up the wall.

rbraun
08-07-2003, 01:42 PM
My 91 jeep cherokee too makes a whining sound..actually it is more like the sound of white noise from a radio station that is not fixed on a station..the noise comes from the middle of the cargo area from underneath..you can hear the sound when your at the rear of the truck as well...makes the sound all the time..any ideas

sbrohman
08-30-2003, 12:41 AM
Sell them all while you still can, there nothing but trouble and go to your nearest GMC/Chevy dealer and get a real truck!

spooleffect
08-30-2003, 02:18 AM
Sell them all while you still can, there nothing but trouble and go to your nearest GMC/Chevy dealer and get a real truck!

:shakehead and you tried ripping on me for liking Jeeps. Dumber and Dumber you go....

sbrohman
08-30-2003, 03:24 AM
Hey dumbass, I said sell all your Jeeps and go buy a real truck (GMC/Chev) can you read?
:headshake

spooleffect
08-31-2003, 03:04 AM
Hey dumbass, I said sell all your Jeeps and go buy a real truck (GMC/Chev) can you read?
:headshake

you continously talk about GM's being sooooo great but when I back Jeeps you tell me to go fuck(or something else to that lameness) it. so, can YOU read?

XJnick
08-31-2003, 09:52 AM
What's the point of bad mouthing Jeeps in every thread? I think most everyone here already has a Jeep and is keeping it :grinyes: :rofl: :grinyes:

SGTF109
09-02-2003, 09:48 AM
jonny, sounds like a power steering pump or possibly a belt.

rmousir
09-02-2003, 04:33 PM
XJnick I have to agree with you. Everyone here has a Jeep and mr. sbrohman just wants to be a kind of whiney monster like that creature on the lord of the rings move. You know, Gullum. Poor guy. I feel bad for him. I am sure he would be so much happier in a chevy and in another forum. I think the whin noise is either the power steering or maybe that chevy guy Gullum, i mean sbrohman.

Seriously though. The whin could be power steering or a vacume hose and Sbrohman I meant that in a fun way. Please don't be offended.

:lol2: :lol2:

Add your comment to this topic!