Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blower motor resistor replaced

Fred_Bear
12-28-2013, 09:59 AM
2000 Alero. Wife reported to me she had no blower motor. I pulled the motor and it tested good. Next I replaced the resistor with one from auto zone. Now I have blower in all but the 5th and highest position. I suspect a bad new resistor but I left it for now because it's a pain to remove.
Could I have got a bad resistor? In my experience a bad resistor will give you high and nothing else. But I dunno what would give me everything but high. Any suggestions?

Tech II
12-28-2013, 10:43 AM
From the schematic, you can see that high speed power to the blower motor goes through the high speed relay....there is also a high speed 30 amp fuse....

Did you check the fuse? Did you check to see if the relay clicks when high speed is called for? Try swapping a relay?

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/24/30/4c/large/0996b43f8024304c.gif

Fred_Bear
12-28-2013, 10:50 AM
no I did not check that. But I most certainly will!! Thanks for the info. I hope this is it. Is that located under the hood?

gmtech1
12-28-2013, 12:25 PM
no I did not check that. But I most certainly will!! Thanks for the info. I hope this is it. Is that located under the hood?

As called out in the above schematic, the blower relay is located in the "underhood junction block". The underside (possibly the top) of the cover will show you where the relay is. If you can find a identical relay to that one in the junction box you can swap positions and see if the fan works.

Fred_Bear
12-28-2013, 12:34 PM
ok, just making sure. Wife is at work with the car right now but I will be sure to check it. Thanks for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!