Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Re bending a resin body

eyckles
12-26-2013, 04:49 AM
Hi guys,

Yesterday i was inspecting my Profil24 2007 Matmut Porsche. To my surprise, i saw that the rooftop is a bit bend. Is it possible to re bend the rooftop? I have heard about the boiling water technique, but haven't done it my self, so any help or advice would be great. Thanks.

Best regards,
Lesley

bbkbuys
12-26-2013, 05:53 AM
can be done with warm water, certainly not boiling!
temp of water & time to dip in depends on thickness of resin. too hot/too long => your roof will become too elastic and you never get it back then...

You have to make sure, that once put in perfect place, it says there, and not sinks back in.

So, build up time/heat to make sure you don't overdo.
Might be hairdryer works as good, never tried that.

Wim

ZoomZoomMX-5
12-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Hot water (sub-boiling, hotter than normal hot tap water) makes it easy. Dunk quickly (2-3 seconds), reshape, dunk in cold water or under cold faucet. Repeat as necessary depending on the thickness. It's fairly forgiving.

I wouldn't recommend using a heat gun.

360spider
12-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Hot water (sub-boiling, hotter than normal hot tap water) makes it easy. Dunk quickly (2-3 seconds), reshape, dunk in cold water or under cold faucet. Repeat as necessary depending on the thickness. It's fairly forgiving.

I wouldn't recommend using a heat gun.

This works. I actually used water that was boiled and taken off fire. Do not bend too much at once, do it in steps.

SmokeyR67
12-27-2013, 07:09 AM
A hair dryer on low instead of warm water works well too

eyckles
12-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the useful information. I think i'll use the hairdryer first and if it doesn't work, I use hot water. Thanks.

Best regards,
Lesley

CrateCruncher
12-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Be very careful with the heat! Different resins have different temperatures. Some resin can start to soften at 120 degrees (F) and flop around like an overcooked noodle at 150 F. The best way to know is to use a thermometer or temp multimeter increasing the heat on a sample part until it just begins to creep. I like to use a Pyrex dish of water in the microwave. Here's a link to an article I wrote for plastic but its the same process for resin with much lower temps.
http://www.austinsms.org/Straightening-Warped-Plastic-Parts.php

Baxter!
12-31-2013, 06:17 AM
Good luck with your efforts..
for what it's worth I've always used steam, mostly from a kettle.
It's easy to control, you can vary the temp by changing how close it is to the steam.

Bossolani
01-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Don't use hairdryer mate. I fu**ed a really nice and rare resin body.

SmokeyR67
01-04-2014, 01:22 AM
Don't use hairdryer mate. I fu**ed a really nice and rare resin body.

You've gotta keep the heat low and airflow high, and don't concentrate on one spot, keep the airflow moving.

Add your comment to this topic!