Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Manual Shift Panel

jachaparian
12-25-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm looking for replace my stock old leather boot with a metal panel. But I can't seem to find them anywhere on the internet for sale. Is there a special name or something I am missing. If so, how hard do you think it would be to swap out my stock boot for this panel? I have a 2001 Toyota Celica GT FYI.

Thanks for any advice,
Jacob

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum, couldn't locate one that really fit this other than general.

Here's a picture of what I am talking about.

http://cars.about.com/od/audi/ig/2008-Audi-R8-photo-gallery/2008-Audi-R8-shifter.htm

Dave B.
12-27-2013, 12:26 PM
I've been at this car thing for a while and I've never seen a metal shift panel made as an accessory for a 'normal' car. Companies like Ferrari used to use these panels on their high-end sports cars, but I haven't noticed them in recent years. I've never understood their reasoning, other than it was easy to glance down and see what gear you were in.

I've also never cared for them because they force you to make less intuitive hand movements to shift gears. Having one might be OK for a 'dress-up' item, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with one on a day-to-day basis.

Add your comment to this topic!