Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need 2 b taught

NZchic
06-20-2003, 09:07 PM
Im jst startn 2 learn bout cars and need sum serious help.
Can u ppl tell me wat is torque and stroker kits???:confused:

texan
06-20-2003, 10:49 PM
Not to sound like an ass, but after reading your other post...
"One of the main problems with turbochargers is that they do not provide an immediate power boost when you step on the gas. It takes a second for the turbine to get up to speed before boost is produced. This results in a feeling of lag when you step on the gas, and then the car lunges ahead when the turbo gets moving.

A smaller, lighter turbo charger can stop it lagging so much."

How do go from this post to that one? One is broken English and you don't know what torque is, and the other you've got a perfect command of the language and understand the physics behind turbocharger lag. So what's the deal?

Moppie
06-20-2003, 11:32 PM
Yet another example of why I will never understand local women.

and Im guessing another reason why two ppl useing the same comp should still use differnt usernames. :)

SHOtough
06-20-2003, 11:41 PM
hmm.... found this on howstuffworks.com

"One of the main problems with turbochargers is that they do not provide an immediate power boost when you step on the gas. It takes a second for the turbine to get up to speed before boost is produced. This results in a feeling of lag when you step on the gas, and then the car lunges ahead when the turbo gets moving."

i think there's your answer :shakehead :disappoin

crxlvr
06-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by SHOtough
hmm.... found this on howstuffworks.com

"One of the main problems with turbochargers is that they do not provide an immediate power boost when you step on the gas. It takes a second for the turbine to get up to speed before boost is produced. This results in a feeling of lag when you step on the gas, and then the car lunges ahead when the turbo gets moving."

i think there's your answer :shakehead :disappoin

:owned:

Porsche
06-23-2003, 12:55 AM
LOL

Here's an answer from everybody's favourtie website:

Torque is a force that tends to rotate or turn things. You generate a torque any time you apply a force using a wrench. Tightening the lug nuts on your wheels is a good example. When you use a wrench, you apply a force to the handle. This force creates a torque on the lug nut, which tends to turn the lug nut.

English units of torque are pound-inches or pound-feet; the SI unit is the Newton-meter. Notice that the torque units contain a distance and a force. To calculate the torque, you just multiply the force by the distance from the center. In the case of the lug nuts, if the wrench is a foot long, and you put 200 pounds of force on it, you are generating 200 pound-feet of torque. If you use a 2-foot wrench, you only need to put 100 pounds of force on it to generate the same torque.

A car engine creates torque and uses it to spin the crankshaft. This torque is created exactly the same way: A force is applied at a distance. Let's take a close look at some of the engine parts:

As for stroker kits, as far as I know they are an upgrade to any engine that inlvolves the length of the stroke being increased to provide a longer induction stage and create loads of torque. I think the cams are also modified to stay open longer as a part of the process. For a very basic description, it's increasing the stroke of the piston.

The knowledge of other on here should easily best mine.

BeEfCaKe
06-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Copy and pasting is the way to go!:bigthumb: :spit: :biggrin2:

454Casull
06-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Seeing how the post texan quoted didn't answer the original question in any way, he probably copy and pasted that.

A stroker kit is basically a kit of parts that you can exchange with the ones currently inside an engine to lengthen the stroke of the pistons. You really only need a different crankshaft but tougher parts are quite beneficial.

texan
06-24-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 454Casull
A stroker kit is basically a kit of parts that you can exchange with the ones currently inside an engine to lengthen the stroke of the pistons. You really only need a different crankshaft but tougher parts are quite beneficial.

Actually you at the very least need a new crankshaft (or an offset machined stock crank) AND new connecting rods, but otherwise that's correct.

And yes Porsche, in order to properly optimize the newfound displacement of any stroked engine, different cam profiles (among other things) should be in order. Increasing stroke, assuming all other things remain equal, will also shift the powerband lower in the RPM range and limit maximum RPM potential (assuming you are trying to limit the stresses on the engine's bottom end).

There's a lot of engine theory to go over regarding stroke length and it's effects on engine dynamics, but most people don't need or want to know all the ins and outs.

Add your comment to this topic!