Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 5.4 -4wd brake problem

bernieb
12-22-2013, 09:19 AM
It all started when i had new tires installed, and they informed me the brakes were shot ,calipers froze up and needed new frame to calipers flex lines and the repair price was 720 bucks. Since I had good brakes I drove home then installed new calipers,short fluid lines and new pads. Now after bleeding the lines, still cannot get a stiff pedal as the pedal goes to the floor. Is there anything electrical that I need to reset? How can I test the master cylinder? I did have a dash red light on ,but I blamed it on the release handle,and the old pads were one side good, the other worn badly......each pair were like that. need help bad here, Bernie

DeltaP
12-22-2013, 09:33 AM
How did you bleed the brakes,sequence?

bernieb
12-22-2013, 10:15 AM
bleeded the brakes by doing the right rear first,then driver side rear then passenger side front,then driver side last. .....all lines done at least four times and still no pedal.

DeltaP
12-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Sequence is correct. Are you using a brake bleeder bottle with a tube attached to the open bleeder screw? Did the 4WABS unit run dry?

bernieb
12-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Did the 4wabs run dry you ask? If thats where you add brake fluid at the master cylinder the answer is no ,as we refilled during the testing.....never ran dry. Thanks for helping.

mechhound
12-22-2013, 12:21 PM
You didn't by chance get the calipers installed on the wrong side? Passenger side on the drivers side and drivers side on the passenger side? If you do this the bleeder valve will be on the bottom instead of the top.(I believe that's how it would be).

I'm not sure if this would even be possible on you vehicle. This is just something I read about on these forums, and the poster had the problem you're having. I just thought I would throw this in as a possibility.

DeltaP
12-22-2013, 04:31 PM
OMG!! I remember that guy. And he was fixing the car for a paying customer !! Scary.

bernieb
12-23-2013, 06:15 AM
Okay Deltap, I got a feeling you got some good advice on my no pedal problem. I did go to another forum and on one mans solution to a similar problem as mine was that since I had a antilock brake system that I needed a scan tool to energise the anti-lock solenoids in order to open the line.......thoughts anyone.

bernieb
12-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Mechhound I should have listened to you ,the brake calipers were on the wrong side. I even had a professional mechanic here bleeding brakes and he missed it. I happen to mention your idea and bingo it hit home. I would send you a xmas present but it's done past..ha

Add your comment to this topic!