Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Nextel Cup

Xerxes
06-20-2003, 04:07 PM
well, it seems as if its now going to be called the NASCAR Nextel Cup series...damn, that name is gonna take some getting used to...anybody else agree

z33guy
06-24-2003, 05:29 PM
i think it will be the winston cup as long as i say it. Ive been around that name to long and it will always be that to me. I guess ill HAVE to get used to it tho. Kinda shady how that wont let other phone sponsors in tho. AT&T wants to go on jeff burtons car, but they cannot.

fordjay16
06-30-2003, 09:51 PM
actually at&t was going to be primary sponsor for burton, the #1, or a brand new team i don't know the name. Nextel let cingular and alltel stay because they were already primary sponsors. I have heard that at&t is pissed and came up with a plan: they have sponsored schrader and bam racing as a primary sponsor for a few races and may sponsor him next year.

z33guy
07-02-2003, 08:50 AM
did nextels agreement say that if they were already here, that they were stuck with that team? Yea i guess they could switch teams. I think the agreement was they couldnt leave the sport and then come back.

fordjay16
07-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by z33guy
did nextels agreement say that if they were already here, that they were stuck with that team? Yea i guess they could switch teams. I think the agreement was they couldnt leave the sport and then come back.

yeah alltel and cingular were already primary sponsors and had existing contracts so nextel let them stay. But they can't change to another team and probably when their existing contracts are up they're gone.

Add your comment to this topic!