Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Cavalier brake issues

Dan3095
12-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Hey guys I have a 99 cavalier Z24. I've had problems with the brakes locking up. Changed master cylinder put new pads and rotors in front and bled whole system. Now the peddle almost hits the floor. It has ABS and i have taken the ABS relay out and the brakes work better but still aren't great. Any suggestions?

maxwedge
12-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Which brakes locked up, did they drag, or lock up completely, how did they release?

rhandwor
12-22-2013, 07:15 AM
Hey guys I have a 99 cavalier Z24. I've had problems with the brakes locking up. Changed master cylinder put new pads and rotors in front and bled whole system. Now the peddle almost hits the floor. It has ABS and i have taken the ABS relay out and the brakes work better but still aren't great. Any suggestions?
To do a good bleed you may have to use a scan tool to pulse the pistons on the ABS.
If one front wheel locks you may have a bad brake line hose to this wheel. If both back wheels lock up you may have a bad hose to the two rear wheels. Calipers will also cause drag to the wheel and heat up when driving.

Jmrec100
12-27-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm also having the same issue. I am finding that when I apply the brakes and then pull the ebrake, I don't lock up. Acts like the rear brakes are not activating. I will be checking them out this weekend.

notaclueaboutcars
04-11-2014, 08:55 AM
I have a simular problem with 2002 Cavalier also, the rear brake on drivers side basically locks up really hard makes a loud noise the whole car sinks towards the left hand side.

Now I have recently spent a fair chunk of money on the brakes this year had new front discs and calipers put on and new cylinder and brake line on the rear passenger side and just last week had a new cylinder and brake line installed on the rear driver side as the cylinder was leaking...this is wheel where the problem is now. Now according to mechanic I use nothing wrong with the pads and drums he told me that. Has he messed up something with the installation? Really I am loathed to take it back as I don't want further expense, it's basically all brand new brakes now apart from the rear pads and drums but as I said these are meant to be fine.

Tech II
04-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Two different people jumping on a thread.....have a better shot of getting an answer if you start your own......should state EXACTLY, what each one of you is experiencing, and everything that was done to the vehicle....year, model, mileage, if it has ABS, etc.

aleekat
04-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Two different people jumping on a thread.....have a better shot of getting an answer if you start your own......should state EXACTLY, what each one of you is experiencing, and everything that was done to the vehicle....year, model, mileage, if it has ABS, etc.

Good luck with that...

Jmrec100
04-12-2014, 08:01 PM
I had that same issue a few years ago, different than the one I have now. Check your drum. I found that mine got damaged. A friend told me that he's seen them get egg shaped, slightly but couldn't see it visually. I went ahead and bought new one. Installed it. Put the whole drum brake 'stuff' back together . No clunking. No lock up.
Check that. Hard to do but if you have 12" calipers (or something bigger than 7+ inches to measure), check at many points. I did after I put on the new drum. I found the old one I repleced out of round I think by .030". Can't remember.

Add your comment to this topic!