Radio Stays On

cruiser69
12-19-2013, 02:54 PM
I have an 06 Impala LTZ with the 3.9L. Lately my radio does not turned off when I open my drivers door. It is about 50/50 whether is shuts off or not, otherwise it waits the ten minutes until the car shuts everything off. Also my buttons to program my garage door only work randomly also. I read something that said the BCM could be the issue. Does anybody have an information on this. Thanks.

gmtech1
12-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Could be a problem with either the BCM or the drivers door switch. Does it shut off if the passenger door is opened?

The garage door opener is its own separate deal, not related.

cruiser69
12-20-2013, 08:29 AM
The radio only shuts off with the driver's door. None of the others doors have ever shut the radio off. I will look into the driver's door switch.

cruiser69
03-22-2014, 09:16 AM
I looked into this more and was wondering if anybody else has any input. The radio always stays on now and the dome light does not turn on. Could this all be from the door lock actuator motor not working properly? I am not having any issues with the actual door lock itself though. I sprayed the actuator with WD-40 a couple times and that help for a short while. Any input would be great. I know actuator motor is quite expensive and do not want to waste the money if that is not the problem. Thanks.

aleekat
03-22-2014, 10:49 AM
First have you checked any fuses? You dome light could be something as simple as a burnt out bulb. Actuator, rockauto. $35

Tech II
03-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Just a few questions......

The lights are out......you open the door, interior lights and dome light come on?

Sit in car, close the door.....don't do anything......do the interior lights/dome go out after 30 seconds?

If no, when you start the car, do the interior lights/dome go out?

Turn the radio on......

Shut the car off, leave key in ignition.....radio stays on....do the interior lights/ dome come on?

Now remove key and open the driver's door.....the radio stays on? If the lights did not come on before, do they come on with the door open?

Now if you manually lock the door(with door switch or keyless entry fob) and close the door, the radio stays on, and the interior lights/dome stay on for 20 minutes?

I believe the BCM takes the place of the old RAP modules.....If the light come on when you open the door, this tells me the door ajar switch in the actuator is working......sure sounds like a BCM problem.....

This is the original radio and nothing was ever done to the wiring?

Has the BCM ever been scanned for body or communication codes? Regular scanners and code readers can't do this....

j cAT
03-22-2014, 06:21 PM
I looked into this more and was wondering if anybody else has any input. The radio always stays on now and the dome light does not turn on. Could this all be from the door lock actuator motor not working properly? I am not having any issues with the actual door lock itself though. I sprayed the actuator with WD-40 a couple times and that help for a short while. Any input would be great. I know actuator motor is quite expensive and do not want to waste the money if that is not the problem. Thanks.

My guess is the BCM most find out when the engine won't start.

stay away from WD-40 ..made from snake oil .

cruiser69
03-22-2014, 07:44 PM
The lights are out......you open the door, interior lights and dome light come on?
No they do not come on when door is opened.

Sit in car, close the door.....don't do anything......do the interior lights/dome go out after 30 seconds?
The lights only come on when removing key from the ignition, but they do go out normally.

Turn the radio on......

Shut the car off, leave key in ignition.....radio stays on....do the interior lights/ dome come on?
Dome does not come on when car is shut off, only when key is removed from the ignition.

Now remove key and open the driver's door.....the radio stays on? If the lights did not come on before, do they come on with the door open?
Radio does stay on when door opened. Lights still do not come on.

Now if you manually lock the door(with door switch or keyless entry fob) and close the door, the radio stays on, and the interior lights/dome stay on for 20 minutes?
Radio stays on for the 20 minutes, but lights do not since they did not turn on anyway.

This is the original radio and nothing was ever done to the wiring?
Everything is original with radio.

I am wondering if the door switch is the problem since the lights do not turn on. It acts like it is never getting a signal that the door has opened.

Tech II
03-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Yes, from your first answer, it looks like your door ajar switch in the driver's latch assembly, is not working....this can be verified with a scan tool....

BCM thinks that door is closed all the time......

j cAT
03-23-2014, 01:12 PM
the door light switch is normally open with the doors closed. when the door is opened then the switch grounds out the circuit causing the light to come on. I have seen these switches break apart ..remove switch inspect for its security and that the wires did not fall off it.

Tech II
03-23-2014, 09:05 PM
I believe that, that switch is integral to the door latch......I think you have to replace the whole latch assembly.....

Add your comment to this topic!