Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jounce bumper bracket rusted bad

tinkering
12-19-2013, 02:10 PM
1996 Chevy 2500 (3/4 Ton) 4x4
My vehicle inspection wouldn't pass the jounce bumper bracket (stops upper control arm from traveling too far) on the drivers side front. The bracket is rusting out and needs to be repaired or replaced. The bracket is welded to the frame. Does it sound feasible to cut a bracket off at the wreckers and weld it to my frame? Do they allow zip disk cutters in Pull a Part? The passenger side bracket is OK.

Schurkey
12-19-2013, 10:06 PM
1996 Chevy 2500 (3/4 Ton) 4x4
My vehicle inspection wouldn't pass the jounce bumper bracket (stops upper control arm from traveling too far) on the drivers side front. The bracket is rusting out and needs to be repaired or replaced. The bracket is welded to the frame. Does it sound feasible to cut a bracket off at the wreckers and weld it to my frame? Do they allow zip disk cutters in Pull a Part? The passenger side bracket is OK.
Seems like a reasonable fix, provided the rest of your frame is acceptably free of rot.

I think you'd have to discuss your removal methods with the Treasure Yard you intend to do business with.

Be sure to wear eye and ear protection. Die grinders are noisy as hell in the best case, they're worse in an enclosed area like the wheelhouse/inner fender. The sparks and bits of cutting wheel go everywhere.

tinkering
12-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Seems like a reasonable fix, provided the rest of your frame is acceptably free of rot.

I think you'd have to discuss your removal methods with the Treasure Yard you intend to do business with.

Be sure to wear eye and ear protection. Die grinders are noisy as hell in the best case, they're worse in an enclosed area like the wheelhouse/inner fender. The sparks and bits of cutting wheel go everywhere.

The bracket is very inaccessible at the frame because of body parts etc. in the way; it is undesirable to cut the bracket off; I would have to leave an inch or two of it on the frame and then weld an equal piece of another bracket on to the amount I left on the frame. On top of that, Pick n Pull doesn't allow any 'spark generating' tools in the yard. I am going to beef up the weak spot/s of existing bracket by welding some plate metal to it, and by replacing the rubber bumper. That should be more than enough to pass the inspection; it will be stronger than new.

tinkering
01-06-2014, 11:56 PM
I am going to beef up the weak spot/s of existing bracket by welding some plate metal to it, and by replacing the rubber bumper.
We used 1/8" steel plate; we cut and bent a piece to fit down in the inside bottom of the bracket, while rising up the middle back cross section ; my wizard welded it along the front and sides and VOILA!

Add your comment to this topic!