Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

amount of timing chain deflection?

razr_88
12-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Hello guys,

I have a 2004 cavalier with the 2.2 L ecotec. A little backstory, I have a permanently mounted vacuum gauge that I installed when I got the car just to be on the safe side, well recently under certain amounts of load and only at operating temperature the needle vibrates VERY quickly with a plus or minus of about 3 or 4 pounds of vacuum. Anyways, I did a dry compression test and got 140 psi on all 4 cylinders, then I gave up for the day. Today I took the valve cover off and found that I have a little less than 1/8" deflection in the timing chain. How much deflection is too much deflection? How hard is it to put a new chain and tension/guide kit in? Do you guys have any suggestions so I don't have to pay $650 to the mechanic in labor?

Thank you in advance

Tech II
12-19-2013, 03:34 PM
About the only time you replace the chain/tensioner, is when the chain makes w a slapping noise against the front cover....since you don't seem to have this problem, I would not be replacing it......

The ecotec engine is different when compared to the quad 4, especially as far as replacing the chain......

If you still want to do it, you definitely need a manual......read it first, to see what you are up against......

Add your comment to this topic!