Page updated on 11-20-2017

Help me paint this p/e part

joelwideqvist
12-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Hi,
I'm working on a Gallardo and got carried away when starting adding P/E parts...

I sanded the Lambo logos away from the cylinder heads and glued the P/E replacement as shown below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/joelwideqvist/0F670775-8163-4E21-A0E9-38FCB79CB8BE.jpg

Realized that the lambo logo and lines are supposed to be black and the "plate" silver and that makes me scratch my head when it comes to painting. Shall I paint the whole part black, mask and paint the plate silver and then gently sand away the silver from the lettering?

/Joel

360spider
12-19-2013, 08:09 AM
What material is PE made out of? You can blacken-it the part, then paint silver, then take off the paint with a cotton swab moistened with thinner.

joelwideqvist
12-19-2013, 08:34 AM
I don't know for sure but it has a glossy silver tone wich makes me think it's probably stainless. It's a crazy Modeler set if that gives a clue.

ZoomZoomMX-5
12-19-2013, 10:20 AM
I'd hit the raised lines/lettering w/a black Sharpie, then overcoat that with a light coat of matte clear to get rid of gloss on the lettering and the PE.

joelwideqvist
12-19-2013, 02:58 PM
The raise of the lettering is very subtle so I'm not sur it'll work...

thijs37
12-24-2013, 04:23 AM
i would paint it Silver first, when proper dried! Dry-paint with black then you have the outlines and then you fill in the rest with a very small quality brush
or you could paint it black with a enamel paint let it dry for a day at least! then paint the silver with a water based paint and you rub excess with a moist cotton swab while paint is still wet (if not happy... rinse of the silver paint in water and start over...the black will stay on because its enamel!..until your happy)

bbkbuys
12-24-2013, 06:51 AM
The raise of the lettering is very subtle so I'm not sur it'll work...

with original lettering, you can use simple soft pencil. The graphite will look like real metal. Best way i've seen yet. superb to get smallest detail out. Easy to fix errors. seal afterwards with clear.
Not sure PE parts will improve look...

wim

rallymaster
12-24-2013, 07:58 AM
You can find black primer in Citadel paint range which is the best way to have PE parts painted black IMO being able to scratch paint from lettering with a simple tooth-pick.

Some_Kid
12-24-2013, 12:12 PM
You can find black primer in Citadel paint range which is the best way to have PE parts painted black IMO being able to scratch paint from lettering with a simple tooth-pick.

I would do this one. A stainless steel look will look much better than a painted silver look in my opinion.

Add your comment to this topic!