Page updated on 11-18-2017

Hiroboy- Zero Paints to US good to go?

Some_Kid
12-16-2013, 04:48 PM
I was just wondering if Hiroboy is finally able to send paints to the US again? There seem to be a long standing issue that kept a lot of people from getting their hands on zero paints. I was just wondering if it was finally resolved?

I had to go through spotmodel last time to get a custom mixed zero paint.

eternazr4
12-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Same here, but waiting for word on shipping to New Zealand.

stevenoble
12-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Quote from Hiroboy's website,

"Worldwide Customers : Sorry, with UPS shipping costs starting at 100GBP for Hazardous shipping and being limited to only a few worldwide countries, we have opted not to offer this service"

da_ashman
12-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Same here, but waiting for word on shipping to New Zealand.

I got some a few months back from Spotmodel.com even some custom mixxed ones! But it does take longer (mine took almost 2 months but I did order a couple of weeks before their summer holidays)

bradfordian
12-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Cant you ask someone in uk to buy it and reship it for you.although I have had the post office ask me what was in the box, it was just models,its a case of keeping stum and making sure the lids are sealed good.but I can tell you that the paint was 5 a bottle last time I bought which to me is absolutely brill and postage was 6.50 as i had to choose a courier.

Sending by royalmail to usa or farther countries I am not sure the price, a few bottles I would think in ball park of 12-15?

stevenoble
12-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Cant you ask someone in uk to buy it and reship it for you.?

If it's the same as at my local Post Office they now make you fill out and sign a declaration that it contains no hazardous items. I don't know what, if anything, they can do to you if you make a false declaration..?? But I know if they check the package and find any banned items they can and will confiscate/destroy them..

nascar49
12-17-2013, 08:42 PM
If it's the same as at my local Post Office they now make you fill out and sign a declaration that it contains no hazardous items. I don't know what, if anything, they can do to you if you make a false declaration..?? But I know if they check the package and find any banned items they can and will confiscate/destroy them..
I know if you do that here in the USA, its a big no no, and its not a good idea to lie about it, more so if you are trying to send hazardous materials , if any thing happens, the sender is going to be in a lot of trouble

I would not try it, its not worth the risk , at the least, it will just be sent back to the sender

Not to mention lying on Custom's forms, yeah, you really dont want to mess with lying to customs

andybmw7272
12-17-2013, 10:30 PM
I have had a lot of success with Jameston over at Scale Finishes for US delivery.

Maybe give that a try?
His paints are definitely a bargain and spray very well.

Hope this helps!
Andy

Hemi Killer
12-18-2013, 02:03 AM
I have switched from Zero to Scale Finishes because of the shipping issues. Scale Finishes paints are just as good, IMO. They have basecoats and gloss enamels, reducers, primers, sealers, etc. His colors are broken down into categories, including all OEM colors dating back almost 100 years. He also carries some HOK paints as well. He has been very helpful and accommodating, I would highly recommend giving them a shot.

nascar49
12-18-2013, 02:25 AM
I have switched from Zero to Scale Finishes because of the shipping issues. Scale Finishes paints are just as good, IMO. They have basecoats and gloss enamels, reducers, primers, sealers, etc. His colors are broken down into categories, including all OEM colors dating back almost 100 years. He also carries some HOK paints as well. He has been very helpful and accommodating, I would highly recommend giving them a shot.
I agree 100% , Jameston is a great guy to deal with, I am not happy to see that he is making some changes, and his price's are going up , but his paint is still worth it

Some_Kid
12-18-2013, 03:57 AM
Scale finishes are enamel paints though right? How is the drying time compared to lacquers?

The only enamels I've had experience with are testors and those have mixed results to say the least.

stevenoble
12-18-2013, 05:49 AM
I'm surprised that Steve at Hiroboy doesn't allow someone in the US to mix and distribute the Zero paints for him. It would solve the problem of shipping from the UK if the paints were mixed and sent out from the US. I'm sure the US is a big market for the paints. If sending from the UK is not an option, surely thats a viable alternative instead of totally losing out to what is a big market..

Kaj45rpm
12-18-2013, 07:18 AM
For the guys in the US, if you know the paint code, I'm sure your local automotive paint supplier can mix up some and then suitably thin it down for airbrush use.

I did this for a green paint I needed for Auriol's Panache Sierra. It was around 8 for a small jar but would have done several models. I simply picked the best shade I could from their colour chips and the result was excellent. 2K clear is automotive laquer also.

I agree that Zero paints are good value for money and I've bought several jars but this is not so much of a option for you guys. (so the UK is good for something! LoL)

hirofkd
12-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Scale finishes are enamel paints though right? How is the drying time compared to lacquers?

The only enamels I've had experience with are testors and those have mixed results to say the least.
Confusing part is that they sell several types of paints, but type of paint is clearly stated. Some colors are available in more than one type.

Ferrari colors are designated as basecoat and requires clear, and I believe it's automotive lacquer because it crazed a plastic spoon when I tested it. Drying time is very fast.

Many American subjects appear to be Gloss Enamel, which doesn't require clear coat. I haven't tested any, so I don't know how long it'd take.

BVC500
12-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Scale finishes try pretty fast. I've had great results, and Jameson is a pleasure to deal with. Its a perfectly suitable alternative to Zero. Frankly, I don't think Zero is the best option give that shipping was as expensive as the paints.

Veyron
12-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Testors enamel, the slowest drying enamel in the world, actually can dry fast when thinned with lacquer thinner and cured in a food dehydrator. It also ends put way harder with that technique. This may work with Scalefinish enamels as well.

nascar49
12-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Scale finishes sells two types of paint, Enamel and Acrylic, the Acrylic paint is the two part, meaning it needs to be clear coated, the Enamel does not need to be clear coated.

cjsbosox
12-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Scale finishes try pretty fast. I've had great results, and Jameson is a pleasure to deal with. Its a perfectly suitable alternative to Zero. Frankly, I don't think Zero is the best option give that shipping was as expensive as the paints.

Agreed. I don't get the whole Zero paints mess. Jameson can get the color you are looking for matched. The prize is very reasonable. And his interior paints are AMAZING. Unless its stated, the paints are acrylic and would work best if clear coated. I would sugget 2k clear. if you go to an autobody paint supply, it will cost you a pretty penny for color matches. BUt it's the best place to get 2k clear. I bought a quart with hardener for $35 almost 2 years ago. And I'm glad to say that I still have it. I have sprayed at least 5 cars and have 72% left. But that's just my 2 cents.

Hemi Killer
12-18-2013, 09:05 PM
I agree 100% , Jameston is a great guy to deal with, I am not happy to see that he is making some changes, and his price's are going up , but his paint is still worth it

I own an unrelated small business that ships throughout the US. Shipping costs go up, storage space, etc. It's hard to keep prices low in somewhat of a niche market. As long as the products are solid, I don't mind the increase here and there. Plus the shipping costs are included in his paint prices.

what changes is he making?

nascar49
12-19-2013, 03:48 PM
I own an unrelated small business that ships throughout the US. Shipping costs go up, storage space, etc. It's hard to keep prices low in somewhat of a niche market. As long as the products are solid, I don't mind the increase here and there. Plus the shipping costs are included in his paint prices.

what changes is he making?

I understand the "whole" cost of business, I own a unrelated busines myself , I was not complaing, just making a comment , all new paint is going going by a $1, check his website, I believe he still has some of the changes listed

I just hope he is still going to keep the $5 a bottle for when he comes to shows, as he comes to my location once a year, so I often stock up then too

Hemi Killer
12-19-2013, 05:19 PM
I understand the "whole" cost of business, I own a unrelated busines myself , I was not complaing, just making a comment , all new paint is going going by a $1, check his website, I believe he still has some of the changes listed

I just hope he is still going to keep the $5 a bottle for when he comes to shows, as he comes to my location once a year, so I often stock up then too

When does he come.. is it for a show? I've never been to a show and you're only 3 hours from me

SmokeyR67
12-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Agreed. I don't get the whole Zero paints. .

Zero paints are fantastic. Perfect scale colour match, perfect consistancy to air brush straight out of the bottle, quick drying, easy to use.

nascar49
12-19-2013, 06:58 PM
When does he come.. is it for a show? I've never been to a show and you're only 3 hours from me

He has been coming here for Desert Scale Classic in April

nascar49
12-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Zero paints are fantastic. Perfect scale colour match, perfect consistancy to air brush straight out of the bottle, quick drying, easy to use.

And same could be said for Scale Finishes paint too

stevenoble
12-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Agreed. I don't get the whole Zero paints mess.

It's not really a 'mess' as such. Nothing wrong with the paints at all, just the fact that Royal Mail now classes them as hazardous goods and won't carry them. So they're practically impossible to ship as it's too expensive to send them as hazardous goods. I also believe that Scale Finishes won't send their paints overseas either for the exact same reason, so not different at all to the Zero situation...

nascar49
12-19-2013, 09:05 PM
It's not really a 'mess' as such. Nothing wrong with the paints at all, just the fact that Royal Mail now classes them as hazardous goods and won't carry them. So they're practically impossible to ship as it's too expensive to send them as hazardous goods. I also believe that Scale Finishes won't send their paints overseas either for the exact same reason, so not different at all to the Zero situation...

Exactly, SF paint is only sold in the US and Canada

Vric
12-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Exactly, SF paint is only sold in the US and Canada

Scale Finishes doesn't ship to Canada. Our only option is local paint shop (which I don't have around) or SpotModel (massive shipping cost)

cjsbosox
12-23-2013, 06:03 PM
And same could be said for Scale Finishes paint too
Totally agreed

It's not really a 'mess' as such. Nothing wrong with the paints at all,....

I meant in the sense that people act like we don't have options...for the most part. If someone is really concerned about color accuracy, then be ready to pay. If not, look for alternatives. Sadly our hobby does not have the market power that others seem to have :disappoin

Oh before I forget. This is under their address on main page, so I'm a tad confused
" CANADIAN/WORLDWIDE CUSTOMERS!!! Elm city hobbies (http://www.elmcityhobbies.com/shop/) sells scalefinishes paints, and ships to customers world wide! Contact the store for further information.

http://www.scalefinishes.com/welcome.html

Vric
12-27-2013, 09:09 AM
I ordered from Elm city before. Great store, but their selection of scale finish paint is afful unless you are only doing vintage cars

Add your comment to this topic!