Page updated on 11-19-2017

Does anyone knows how to do "fiberglass" texture?

Zonic2001
12-12-2013, 11:23 AM
For small scales (1/20 and 1/24) in the past, I used surgical tape but is not the right texture for fiberglass. Fiberglass arrangement of fibers is more distorted than the precise surgical tape fiber arrangement. Can anyone knows how to? Thanks for reading my post.

Eric Cole
12-12-2013, 12:16 PM
I posted a tutorial several years ago, maybe it'll be helpful...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=438245

Zonic2001
12-12-2013, 12:40 PM
I posted a tutorial several years ago, maybe it'll be helpful...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=438245

Before I posted here I did a search and review several posts but never received your tutorial... thanks. Yours look very similar to my surgical tape which is a good finishing.

Zonic2001
12-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Reading the responses to the tutorial I noticed the reference to fabric softening sheets and camera lens tissue, which are other great ideas. I used the camera lens tissue (it doesn't have the pattern, is more of a flat surface but when glued, it wrinkles, creating imperfections as the fiberglass does, great for solid colors, not translucent) but, I haven't used the fabric softening sheets. I would think that the random pattern of the fabric softener tissue might be closer to reality. I need to try it next! Thanks!

CrateCruncher
12-12-2013, 10:18 PM
There are two main types of fiberglass: cloth mat and chop spray. To do mat I use drapery sheer fabric from one of the fabric stores and 5 minute epoxy thinned with rubbing alcohol and Liquitex ink (yellow oxide).

First make your mold. Then use some hair spray to get the fabric to stick to it. Then mix your epoxy/ink/alcohol together and saturate the fabric evenly. Later after it's cured you can trim it, sand it, etc. It looks just like fiberglass. Light passes through it.

I haven't done chop spray but would probably substitute short carpet fibers trimmed using scissors along with all the other ingredients. As the epoxy stiffened I'd press it down flat with something to smooth it out.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Baxter!
12-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Eric, that's a good tutorial. I've used some variations on that theme.

Remember ANY nylon or polyethylene fabric works, so you can choose a
pattern that matches the scale and material your trying to emulate. Anything from
and old umbrella material to tent material, you get the idea.

When I'm doing this I "wet" the part with liquid cement, wait a minute or so for the surface to soften lightly.
The I press my material into the part, wait some more for it to "set".
Then I'm able to peel the nylon material away from the part. It naturally won't adhere
to polystyrene. Once the material is removed you have the glue layer that has been
"molded" with a pattern.

Try it out once. The only thing that limits what texture is what fabric weave you can find.

Zonic2001
12-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Thanks everyone!

Add your comment to this topic!