Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gluing braided lines to metal fittings question

Zonic2001
12-11-2013, 12:58 PM
My past experience in gluing braided lines to A/N metal fittings has not been that pleasant. That joint doesn't seem to hold much handling after gluing. Very fragile bond. Someone told me to scratch the gluing surface of the fitting for a stronger bond. Did it, didn't work. Anyone with a different suggestions? Thanks for reading my post.

JeremyJon
12-11-2013, 02:13 PM
The metal interior surface does help to have a bit of sanding, to help adhesion
The other thing I do, is use first some thin CA on the end of my braided line, and let dry, then trim to fit, that gives it a solidness which helps fit into the fitting more firmly, I find

Zonic2001
12-11-2013, 02:32 PM
The metal interior surface does help to have a bit of sanding, to help adhesion
The other thing I do, is use first some thin CA on the end of my braided line, and let dry, then trim to fit, that gives it a solidness which helps fit into the fitting more firmly, I find

Guide me through the process. You sand the fitting for better connection. Then, do you glue the fitting and line together before gluing into the model kit?

John18d
12-11-2013, 07:32 PM
My past experience in gluing braided lines to A/N metal fittings has not been that pleasant. That joint doesn't seem to hold much handling after gluing. Very fragile bond. Someone told me to scratch the gluing surface of the fitting for a stronger bond. Did it, didn't work. Anyone with a different suggestions? Thanks for reading my post.

Zonic - did you buy those hobby design metal hose ends??? I did and finally gave up on them
Top Studio resin ones work much better
John

JeremyJon
12-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Guide me through the process. You sand the fitting for better connection. Then, do you glue the fitting and line together before gluing into the model kit?

It could be some issue with those particular fittings, as John ^^ mentioned?

Yes, I like to attach the line and fittings, before attaching to the model, but before I attach the line and fitting together, I like to sand the inside of the fitting (as best possible) for rough texture = better adhesion
Then also I apply some thin CA glue to the end of the braided line 'before' I attach it to the fitting, letting it to dry and trimming the line cleanly, then final step to adhere the trimmed line and fitting together
When I attach the two together, the cleanly trimmed line allows me to only insert it 3/4 depth, leaving a hollow on opposite side of fitting, to attach to model/plastic by
I found that the braided line has very little physical surface contact area, any glue you apply to it directly filters down into the braid somewhat
So that's why I like to apply glue to it first (CA thin) to fill those voids, making a greater contact area between the 2 parts once ready for final fitment

daniel_k
12-12-2013, 07:35 AM
The first thing to note there are two types of fittings the ones with a pin or a hole. I strongyl recommend to use the ones with a hole like Model Factory Hiro. I simple drill the hole deeper or even wieder sometimes so I can plug my wire in to it. It never comes loose and looks a million times better than wire over a pin.
It can sometimes be a little hard to drill through the chrome plating of the MFH fittings but the also offer fittings without coating, haven't tried these but will for sure in the future. also R.B.motion fittigns are great and availalbe in many different sizes.

Here I used the MFH fittings

http://www.3dgrafix.de/forum_bilder/GT40/gt3.JPG

http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=36177.0

thijs37
12-12-2013, 07:41 AM
My method would be...attach the braided line on some copper wire that fits inside braided line making a bond on the (engine-tanks-radiator) and the braided line and then glue the fitting in its place....Tadaa! strong bond....Well at least with the fittings that slide on the braided line!(MFH)

Zonic2001
12-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Zonic - did you buy those hobby design metal hose ends??? I did and finally gave up on them
Top Studio resin ones work much better
John

Is not only the Hobby Design metal one, is the same issue with RB and Protech fittings... as long as they are metal, the point of contact is weak. Yes, the Top Studio ones are better but they don't look as good as metal fittings hence my post in here. Thanks for answering my post.

Zonic2001
12-12-2013, 07:46 AM
The first thing to note there are two types of fittings the ones with a pin or a hole. I strongyl recommend to use the ones with a hole like Model Factory Hiro. I simple drill the hole deeper or even wieder sometimes so I can plug my wire in to it. It never comes loose and looks a million times better than wire over a pin.
It can sometimes be a little hard to drill through the chrome plating of the MFH fittings but the also offer fittings without coating, haven't tried these but will for sure in the future. also R.B.motion fittigns are great and availalbe in many different sizes.

Here I used the MFH fittings

http://www.3dgrafix.de/forum_bilder/GT40/gt3.JPG

http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=36177.0
I will try your method next time.... thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!