Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Grand Prix cranks but won't start

nebraskabrian
12-09-2013, 06:42 PM
I am new here and appreciate any help I can get. I have a 98 Grand Prix 3.8 with about 170,000 miles on it. Yesterday I tried to start it, and it would crank but not start. Let me provide some background info . . . We had received cold temps and snow recently and the vehicle is parked outside. The car ran fine the day before in colder temps. Yesterday morning I was scooping the snow next to the car and I bumped into it causing the alarm to go off. The horn honked 4 or 5 times and then stopped. Later when I tried to start it, it would just crank. At first I thought it was the fuel pump since I could not hear it. The fuse was fine. I then noticed the DIC was flashing 0 on all modes. On another thread I saw that is often due to a loss of data between the DCI and PCM. I thought perhaps I tripped the security system when I bumped into it which is preventing it from getting fuel, and perhaps was also causing the DIC to show 0. A GM service tech said to put the key in the run position for 10 minutes then turn it off, and then do this two more times and that should clear the security system and the car should start. I tried it and it did not work. I am starting to think it may be a bad PCM. Stopped at my local Oreillys to check out their code reader, but they no longer check them out to take home. It must be used there. I am kind of at a loss. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Thanks.

Tech II
12-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Do you have the owner's manual? What Security system do you have, PassKey or PassLock? Does the ignition Key have an external black resistor pellet or "PK3" stamped on it?

Have you tried to start the car with the MAF disconnected?

Try spraying carb cleaner into the intake while cranking? If it starts, or almost starts, check fuel pressure......

nebraskabrian
12-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Do you have the owner's manual? What Security system do you have, PassKey or PassLock? Does the ignition Key have an external black resistor pellet or "PK3" stamped on it?

Have you tried to start the car with the MAF disconnected?

Try spraying carb cleaner into the intake while cranking? If it starts, or almost starts, check fuel pressure......

Thank you for the reply. I do have the owners manual, but I do not know if my security is system is passkey or passlock. I have two keys and neither of them have and external black resistor or PK3 stamped on it. I have tried to start the car with both keys.

I have not tried to start the MAF disconnected, but I will give it a shot. Really busy right now so I won't be able to do it for a couple days, but will post here the results. I will also try the carb cleaner trick to see if it fires.

Add your comment to this topic!