Page updated on 11-22-2017

hey guys

ddevlin82
12-09-2013, 03:32 AM
Hi my name's Dave I'm new to this and model building(I saw the post about newbs but seemed like all were over ten years old)anyway I've done 2 so far since I started a shelby cobra 500 gt and a dodge viper both by revell, and there was a big diff in quality between the 2. It just seemed like the shelby was more detailed and more realistic just better quality in general and was wondering why that was? Also what company you guys prefer? I had more fun with the cobra since it was more realistic. I saw AMT has a ghostbusters car and was a big fan of that as a child would you guys recomend AMT? I've read diff opinions about them. P.S. sorry this post is so long I'm just excited theres a forum about this none of my friends do modeling

lovegt40
12-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Hi there and wellcome on board.
Happy u started modelling.Being at the first ones, just remember the most important tip ever imho: ENJOY IT.
with time this hobby can become frustrating, just keep on modelling and build build build as many models as u can. More u will build more skilled u will become.;)

Zonic2001
12-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Welcome to our hobby! There is no specific brands better than others. Some kits are more detail than others. What I recommend is for you to do a lot of on-line research before you buy a kit. Some hobby shops on-line show you the instructions (such as Hobby Search and Hobby Easy). By studying the instructions you can get an idea on how difficult or easy the build is. But as the previous member said, enjoy it, it could be frustrating at times. Have a great day!

willimo
12-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Hey alright, welcome to the fun! It's hard to pick one brand over others, really, products from the same company vary a lot from kit to kit, as you already know. It depends a lot on what you're after. Some AMT kits are really frustrating, some are great. I have heard good things about the ECTO 1 kit, but your best bet is to just ask about something you're looking into buying. You'll get a lot of opinions, but you will get a sense of what you're in store for. Also, build threads are a great resource - you'll see it if the kit is frustrating. Stick around, and we'd love to see what you've built and what you're working on!

bradfordian
12-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Polar lights makes an ecto ghostbusting car.polar lights and round 2 are the same (I think) and I know they were or are involved with some of the other brands (I think) like amt/mpc/ertl.polar lights generaly tend to be pretty good.

ddevlin82
12-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks so much for your input everyone i really appreciate it and the welcome too. I will def enjoy this hobby especially after seeing some of the pics on here i really had no idea how nice a model car could look, its amazing. But now i know i have a long way to go lol

bradfordian
12-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks so much for your input everyone i really appreciate it and the welcome too. I will def enjoy this hobby especially after seeing some of the pics on here i really had no idea how nice a model car could look, its amazing. But now i know i have a long way to go lol

Same boat here.i aint a stranger to modelling but only been at it couple years with scifi but total noob too automotive.my current ferrari build for an online competition is what made me like cars more,the detail you can put in is what I like,engines on show etc.now I have a nice stash of racing/sporty super cars to build.
;)

Add your comment to this topic!