Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

overheating issue

hunter4ever12
12-07-2013, 08:38 AM
I have a 92 k1500 with the 5.0 L engine. It ran fine and I had no issues what so ever the last time I drove it. It has since dropped in temp since I drove it last. It is now in the -10 to 5 degree range. I started my pickup this morning and let it warm up when I went to get in the temp gauge was buried in the red. So I shut her down opened the hood and sure enough its puking coolant and hot as hell. So my question is why would it over heat when its so cold outside? Especially having no problems about 5 days ago and now its way hot. The thermostat is about 2 months old and the radiator is only about a year old. I just did a coolant flush on it back in sept. So what do you all think could be my issue? What would be a good starting point?

SleepyHead98
12-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Wow, Thinking water pump, or the ratio of antifreeze to water is not correct, causing line to freeze, and stopping circulation.

rhandwor
12-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I have a 92 k1500 with the 5.0 L engine. It ran fine and I had no issues what so ever the last time I drove it. It has since dropped in temp since I drove it last. It is now in the -10 to 5 degree range. I started my pickup this morning and let it warm up when I went to get in the temp gauge was buried in the red. So I shut her down opened the hood and sure enough its puking coolant and hot as hell. So my question is why would it over heat when its so cold outside? Especially having no problems about 5 days ago and now its way hot. The thermostat is about 2 months old and the radiator is only about a year old. I just did a coolant flush on it back in sept. So what do you all think could be my issue? What would be a good starting point?
A broken belt for the water pump or a collapsed radiator hose broken inside spring.
A leaking water pump allowing you to be low on coolant.
The previous items are also possible.

aleekat
12-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Puking coolant from where? Thermo just 2 months old doesn't mean it could be sticking closed.

j cAT
12-07-2013, 11:41 AM
if this was idling @ 10 deg f and it over heated that means the coolant froze.

too much coolant or not enough.

if this was flushed you will require 2.5 gallons of coolant to about 1.75 gallons of distilled water . this is with a complete drain .

if this was not completely drained then you just add the 2.5 gallons of coolant. I doubt however that is possible .with just draining the radiator you can get out about 1.5 gallons ..

I would run 60 % coolant where you live for -40 below f..

Add your comment to this topic!