Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help painting window frames on a Porsche 917

Zonic2001
12-06-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm 75% done in completing the 1/24 Porsche 917 Gulf car use by Steve McQueen in his movie. The windows in this car are not a one piece clear plastic for all 4 sides of the car. Nor this car body has the lines on the body I can mask and paint as the tutorials in this forum. The uniqueness of this car is that each window is a piece by itself therefore, I have about 4 pieces of clear windows. At each window I have to paint a black border (the frames). Lets use the front window as an example. I'm planning on masking the inside of the window piece. Then, I'm planning to cut the mask with a parallel cutter from Micro-Mark by keeping one of the blades touching the edge of the window and the other parallel blade will be cutting the mask and move the cutter around the window. After the cut, I'll remove this cutted edge or trimming tape exposing the frame to be painted. I think that this will work but I'm not sure and I only have one set of windows to work with so... I have to do it right the first time. Hence why I'm inquiring you all experts in getting your opinion on my methodology or to share with me any other methods. Thanks for reading my post... have a great day folks!

MarcoSaupe
12-06-2013, 02:59 PM
I admit, I'm not a rivetcounter, so I wouldn't care if the width of the frame is 100% correct, therefore for these frames I usually just use a thick, black paintmarker and draw along the edge. If you keep a constant angle in relation to the edge, you'll get a nice frame with constant width - and if not just remove the colour and do it again.

Zonic2001
12-06-2013, 03:07 PM
I admit, I'm not a rivetcounter, so I wouldn't care if the width of the frame is 100% correct, therefore for these frames I usually just use a thick, black paintmarker and draw along the edge. If you keep a constant angle in relation to the edge, you'll get a nice frame with constant width - and if not just remove the colour and do it again.

What marker brand name you recommend and what solution you use to remove it?

JeremyJon
12-06-2013, 05:18 PM
I would still recommend you mask off with Tamiya masking tape - not regular masking nor painters masking tape - to protect the clear areas, then very lightly scuff the frames with 800+ sandpaper, this will help adhesion a LOT no matter if you use paint or marker ink, and it will also protect as you colour the frames from marking onto the clear areas
Depending on thin the frames are, then you might be able to just use a sharpie marker, I've done that before around edges of clear headlight lenses (to similar gaskets)

ianc911
12-06-2013, 05:50 PM
The 917 should only require a black frame around the windshield; the side windows do not have a rubber gasket. Check your sources to confirm this, but it should look like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/2006FOS_1970Porsche917KGulf.jpg)

For the Windshield gasket which is probably moulded with the body, just use the tip of a Sharpie brand permanent marker. If you're careful, it should be no problem. Practice first on something else.

ianc

935k3
12-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Make sure it is a chisel type tip marker not a pointed one. You can control the width by varying the angle you put the tip to the edge of window. Alcohol will remove the ink if you make a mistake. The side windows do not have gasket. You might see an off white border on side windows of white 917's but it's because the window itself is plastic and has a slight yellow tint. The thickness of the window can be hidden by painting the edge of the window body color.

TvD
12-07-2013, 03:50 AM
Assuming you're building the Fujimi kit, this is what I did with the front window:

http://photos.keepturningleft.com/albums/1_24/porsche_917k/porsche_917k_30.jpg

And the result is this:
http://photos.keepturningleft.com/albums/1_24/porsche_917k/porsche_917k_31.jpg

Basically I masked off the black line with Scotch plastic tape (this can be bend around corners) and then filled in the rest with Tamiya tape. Then took out the airbrush and sprayed the edges with a clearcoat. This is done so when I sprayed the black it couldn't go under the tape and make ugly marks (basically I sealed the taped). Hope this is of some help for you.

MarcoSaupe
12-07-2013, 04:03 AM
I personally use Molotow Markers, but I don't know if they are available in the US - in theory any type of permanent marker should be ok. For removing colour I use DowanolPM=Methoxypropanol PM=Revell Airbrush Clean (yellow bottle).

Zonic2001
12-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Assuming you're building the Fujimi kit, this is what I did with the front window:

And the result is this:

Basically I masked off the black line with Scotch plastic tape (this can be bend around corners) and then filled in the rest with Tamiya tape. Then took out the airbrush and sprayed the edges with a clearcoat. This is done so when I sprayed the black it couldn't go under the tape and make ugly marks (basically I sealed the taped). Hope this is of some help for you.

Yes is the Fujimi kit Wow, your frame looks good... let see If I can do as good. But first let see if I got the process correctly. You taped the edge of the windshield with a thin 3M tape (let say it was blue color as per your pic). I got some of that. Then, you masked the rest with Tamiya yellow mask (got some of that too). Followed by cutting the Tamiya mask along the inside border of the 3M blue tape, Then, you removed the 3M tape exposing the edge of the window. After that, You sprayed clear coat to seal the edge of the Tamiya mask (great idea). Then, you painted the frame with black color paint using an airbrush. Did I get it right?

Questions... Did you painted on the inside or outside of the windshield? Did you use black color paint, enamel or acrylic? Matt or Gloss? Sorry for the many questions.

Zonic2001
12-09-2013, 08:38 AM
The 917 should only require a black frame around the windshield; the side windows do not have a rubber gasket. Check your sources to confirm this, but it should look like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/2006FOS_1970Porsche917KGulf.jpg)

For the Windshield gasket which is probably moulded with the body, just use the tip of a Sharpie brand permanent marker. If you're careful, it should be no problem. Practice first on something else.

ianc

Got it! Thanks!

TvD
12-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Yes is the Fujimi kit Wow, your frame looks good... let see If I can do as good. But first let see if I got the process correctly. You taped the edge of the windshield with a thin 3M tape (let say it was blue color as per your pic). I got some of that. Then, you masked the rest with Tamiya yellow mask (got some of that too). Followed by cutting the Tamiya mask along the inside border of the 3M blue tape, Then, you removed the 3M tape exposing the edge of the window. After that, You sprayed clear coat to seal the edge of the Tamiya mask (great idea). Then, you painted the frame with black color paint using an airbrush. Did I get it right?

NO! the first picture shows what it's like just before painting. So I did not remove the blue 3M tape! And don't forget to tape off the inside as well :naughty:

Questions... Did you painted on the inside or outside of the windshield? Did you use black color paint, enamel or acrylic? Matt or Gloss? Sorry for the many questions.

I painted the outside on this one. And I think I used a semi-gloss black (it's been a while).

Zonic2001
12-09-2013, 12:50 PM
NO! the first picture shows what it's like just before painting. So I did not remove the blue 3M tape! And don't forget to tape off the inside as well :naughty:

I painted the outside on this one. And I think I used a semi-gloss black (it's been a while).

Examining the picture, I can see it now much better. Sorry, my migrane meds are making me slow today... LOL I better don't work on the car today until the migrane is gone.

I needed to pay more attention to the details on the pic. The blue tape outer edge is the inside edge of the frame to be painted. Got it now! Thanks!

Zonic2001
12-09-2013, 01:15 PM

after you finished painting the black frame, did you clear coat again the finish product without removing the tamiya tape, just the black frame? Maybe with Future? or you never protected the painted black frame?

TvD
12-09-2013, 02:42 PM
after you finished painting the black frame, did you clear coat again the finish product without removing the tamiya tape, just the black frame? Maybe with Future? or you never protected the painted black frame?

After the black was on I didn't clearcoat. I probably used a semi gloss black (Zero paint) so a clearcoat would make it shine too much anyway.

daniel_k
12-10-2013, 10:11 AM
you should try the masking and parallel cutter option. This way you will get a constant bordersize. I used this technique on my GT-one lampcovers and worked good. I made my own cutting tool and on the Toyota it was even harder than a windscreen because of the very small radiuses.
Scroll down to see my progress and results....I should have sandeddown the red border a little to make it look better...but I'm OK with it ;-)

http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=18602.75

daniel

Zonic2001
12-12-2013, 07:55 AM

And the result is this:

Used your method last night. Masked with 3M (that tape is better than any other streatching and making curves). Also did a little trimming along the top corners of the windshield to make both similar. After that, sprayed with clear coat. I'll be painting the gloss black tonite. Let see how it turns out. If I have to re-do it for whatever reason, what should I use to remove the black paint without damaging the windshield plastic?

Zonic2001
12-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Used your method last night. Masked with 3M (that tape is better than any other streatching and making curves). Also did a little trimming along the top corners of the windshield to make both similar. After that, sprayed with clear coat. I'll be painting the gloss black tonite. Let see how it turns out. If I have to re-do it for whatever reason, what should I use to remove the black paint without damaging the windshield plastic?

Painted it and left it to dry. Will remove the mask maybe tonite or tomorrow.

Zonic2001
12-17-2013, 09:23 AM
After the black was on I didn't clearcoat. I probably used a semi gloss black (Zero paint) so a clearcoat would make it shine too much anyway.

Check the PM sent to you. Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!