Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Sierra windsheild wiper issue

jjk_52
12-02-2013, 08:08 PM
I had the windshield replaced in my truck and now my drivers side wiper doesn't work. The passenger side moves normally however drivers twitches and doesn't move. Also if I grab it it moves freely without any friction. I'm stumped. Please please please help

aleekat
12-03-2013, 10:37 AM
I had the windshield replaced in my truck and now my drivers side wiper doesn't work. The passenger side moves normally however drivers twitches and doesn't move. Also if I grab it it moves freely without any friction. I'm stumped. Please please please help
The wiper arm is bolted to the wiper shaft. It is coned shaped and splined out of soft metal. The shaft is hardened. You should have a plastic cover where the nut is located. Removed the cover. Park the wiper away from the windshield. Either the nut wasn't tightened or the splined is stripped. You can replace the arm or try wrapping some steel wool(preferred 0000 grade) around the shaft and tighten down. Make note where it's positioned before you remove the arm. If not, on replacement it may hit the outside of windshield or the bottom.

gmtech1
12-03-2013, 10:38 AM

Is the nut for the wiper arm tight?

Sorry aleekat, we were posting at the same time....

jjk_52
12-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Yes the nut is tight. Haha that's the first thing I tried. Thanks for the steel wool idea aleekat I'm going to try that.

jjk_52
12-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your help and ideas guys. I ended up drilling through the arm and shaft and putting a pin through.

giffo
12-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Glad you solved it with drilling and pinning. The very mention of steel wool makes me cringe. It is virtually a recipe for instant rust. Anyone employing that method in this or any similar case, would be well advised to opt instead for bronze wool.

Add your comment to this topic!