Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vette Void

cajunboyla
11-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Okay guys; need help. My 84 vette won't start. Nothing happens when I turn the ignition. Here's what happened: I was driving home from work one day and it just cut-off. No warning. Just died on the interstate. Wouldn't start. Waited for an hour, nothing. Had it towed home, got it off the wrecker and it started:jerking: after that nothing. Waited a day turned the key to "on" position and the gauges worked for a brief second. Headlights, horn, interior lights all still work. But no gauges, no radio after that. Could this be an ignition switch problem or something more sinister? :banghead:

Cajunboyla

maxwedge
11-22-2013, 06:41 PM
You need to check the circuits to the ign switch, fuse panel accessory feeds, a wiring diagram will help here, no one answer to this issue, assuming all battery and alt. connectons s are good.

cajunboyla
12-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks Maxwedge!!! Here's the latest, I checked all connections. Nothing seemed outta place. Replaced ignition switch, still won't start. Every once in awhile the dash would light up but as soon as I turn the key to the start position everything goes dead. The fusible links are good I checked them with my test light. Internet tells me to check the VATS but 84 didn't have the VATS did it?

Still frustrated

Cajunboyla

rhandwor
12-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Okay guys; need help. My 84 vette won't start. Nothing happens when I turn the ignition. Here's what happened: I was driving home from work one day and it just cut-off. No warning. Just died on the interstate. Wouldn't start. Waited for an hour, nothing. Had it towed home, got it off the wrecker and it started:jerking: after that nothing. Waited a day turned the key to "on" position and the gauges worked for a brief second. Headlights, horn, interior lights all still work. But no gauges, no radio after that. Could this be an ignition switch problem or something more sinister? :banghead:

Cajunboyla
Use a 12 volt test light do you get power to the small wire to the starter when someone else is trying to crank the engine. A good place to start.

Add your comment to this topic!