Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Practicality of Buying a Used Countach?

bugfighter
11-12-2001, 04:10 PM
I'm not an ultra rich guy and I've always dreamed of owning a Lambo. A new Diablo is definitely out of the question, but I can afford a used $70,000 Countach, as my second recreational car.

My question is: How badly can I get dinged with maintenance costs if I drive the car maybe 2,000 miles per year? And how bad is bad?

I know the sky is the limit if you buy a bad used car, but what about something in the 1980's of reasonable condition? With 2,000 miles per year, it'll have to be a weekend car and something nice to look at during the week when you drive your other car, the daily driver.

Thanks in advance.

gang$tarr
11-12-2001, 08:58 PM
i think it's possible, it may be a little tough though..
Depends what your yearly income is

bugfighter
11-12-2001, 09:36 PM
Yeah, but I'm wondering what kind of dollars per year in maintenance we're talking about? Especially if I'm only going to ride 2,000 miles per year.

I wouldn't even take the thing on the race track, just cruise around for a little bit, live out some fantasies. But if I get dinged for a couple thou every other time I take it out, that might be one headache I can forego. Worst would be the guilt knowing I could have used that money for a new M3, Vette, even a 911, which I could drive every day.

But a Lambo... :rolleyes:

gang$tarr
11-12-2001, 10:23 PM
hmmm.... i'm not sure about exact costs. But expect to pay around $3-4 thousand service fee every 6 months. Plus parts will cost you a nice amount, I know on a Diablo a new clutch will cost a couple thousand. It will be a bit of a pain, but if it's your dream go for it. I'd say if you have a spare 30,000 a year, it shouldn't be a problem at all (not saying you need that much, but if you have that much you'll be nice and comfortable)

bugfighter
11-13-2001, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback gang$star!

If it's in the $20k - $30k per year, I'm afraid that might be out of my league. Oh well. Need to make more money...

gang$tarr
11-13-2001, 03:29 PM
I think you'd do fine with 20k

you could do it with 15k but i think it would be alot less comfortable

Lambo_BoY
11-13-2001, 10:25 PM
25th anniversary and 5000QV have such a different service price that its not funny.

But servising these cars are not less than a Diablo, and some parts u need may be even more expensive because the company don't stock them, they need to get the manufacture especially made. Eg, u may wait for 5 month to get a 5000QV rear wheel.

These classic vintage cars are hard to service, these old dudes who knows them well are most retired any how...

But then again, if you not going to buy a 5000QV or a 25th anniversary, there is no point of owning a Countach.... honestly...

U could find some of the panel beat up Late model contach, but you may need to spend some time to work on the car, or one of the restoring project. There are some good price out there if you put into the time to find it...

bugfighter
11-13-2001, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the input Lambo Boy. I think it's becoming pretty crystal clear I'm not in the league of Lambos. Yet. I think I can afford a used Countach now, but that's if I cut back on my other expenses, and in that case I don't see a point. Lambos are made for the ultra rich and not the rest of us folks who would have to hack financially. Reality check.

Lambo_BoY
11-13-2001, 11:07 PM
well.. in a way, yes Lambos are mostly for the rich...... especailly the Late coutach and the Diablo... and some diablos... 25th anniversary are more expensive than the early Diablo 2WD....

but if you can find a good price and u can afford the car, then its a start... maintaince of the car is costly but if the countach is going to be your secondary car that u drive once a week or once a fortnite for plessure then i don't see why not, it won't cost that much...

but like me driving it everyday, then its very costly...

look email me at sxrk@hotmail.com we talk more

JE123
11-14-2001, 05:15 PM
What are some of the things that go wrong with a Lambo? Why does it cost so much to maintain it?

Lambo_BoY
11-15-2001, 07:56 AM
that's because some of the parts they don't supply any more. I am not sure about who makes the rims, but i think its OZ, and anything below 5000QV they don't making them any more. i don't even think they kept the mold for it.. and that's why many crashed Countaches have after market rims which look stunning.

Engine maintaince is also a factor, most of the Countaches are very easy to get around the engine like the Diablo, but once you see the difference between the Countach engine and a Diablos, its basically the same, therefore, maintaining it will cost the same as a Diablo, and because its older u might need to pay even more.

also keep in mind that Countach is a Aluminim car (i believe), where carbo fibre and fibreglass are much easier to fix.

But bug fighter, if u have 2 mercs to drive around town, and just buy a countach for special occations, u don't pay that much for services. u can get away with once every 8 month. but just keep ur eye on the oil and etc ur self.

S Brake
11-15-2001, 09:21 PM
If its the performance you want, i'd say go with the Z06 or M3, but if its your dream to own a lambo, i say just go for it and keep it well maintained. hey, there's always the Ferrari Testorossa:D

81LP400S
01-04-2002, 09:15 PM
My Countach is awsome and I wanted an origional Countach S ( the cannonball car ) not a QV for one simple reason... Ultimate Motorworks ( the country's oldest Lamborghini dealer ) told me in plain english that they can count on one hand how many clutch jobs they have done on 2 valve Countach's but the 4 valve motors need them all the time. A clutch job on a countach is $10,000.00 If your buying a Countach because of 455 hp and 375 is not good enough then buy a Z06 because a Lamborghini is not for drag racing.....

PS: ask anyone impartial and they will tell you that the older countach's have a louder and more throaty exaust, that's not my opinion, I was told that for years before I found my car.

Tony

bugfighter
01-08-2002, 02:06 PM
Congratulations! That's an awesome car! BTW, nice garage, too!

gang$tarr
01-08-2002, 08:50 PM
damn! that's a nice car 81LP400S
i love how the wing makes it look

what other cars do you have?

Porsche
01-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Oh yes! Do tell us us of your inventory!

Add your comment to this topic!