Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cheapest Engine?

Bustamon
06-18-2003, 07:42 PM
My friend Darren just got a 1990 Honda CRX DX. He asked me what engine he could get for the least amount of money so that he could throw that D15 away. I suggested him just doing a mini me swap instead. Should he do that or get something else? Also if he gets a motor with VTEC how hard is it to wire the VTEC and what should he use to activate the VTEC. If he didn't get a motor with VTEC is there a controller he could get that has the same characteristics as VTEC?

YOUNGSTER
06-18-2003, 10:01 PM
got b16 pretty cheap like 1500

eckoman_pdx
06-19-2003, 03:40 AM
yea, non-OBD cable tranny B16's (88-91, 1st gen) are pretty cheap. That would fit his car nicely, since his would be a non-OBD car with a cable tranny. He can get an entire set-up, JDM B16A motor, cable tranny, and ECU for $1350 from Nippon Motors & $1595.95 from ARD Performance. (ARD also has a Gen 2 Engine, Cable Tranny, and ECU for $1695.95)
http://www.nippon-motors.com/
http://www.ardperformance.com/cgi-bin/indexjd.pl?action=index

Tofuboy
06-19-2003, 04:21 PM
what is your definition of "cheap"? I don't think there is "cheap" exits in motorsport especially for imports. I assume this is a daily drive car, so I suggest you should only do major modification to the engine when you have a second car. Sorry if my opinion is too striaght forward, but if your friend is really into motorsport, he should save up while doing all the researches an have a plan before spending any unnecessary money.

PS. A lot of JDM engines do not pass smog check, make sure before it's too late.

Hatchie Boy
06-22-2003, 04:04 PM
what i would suggest to you friend is to go out and buy a zc for about 500 bucks it bolts right in no motor mounts needed no new ecu(althought it would be faster) ecu's are 200 bucks after all this you might run a mid to low 15

B16EJ1
06-22-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Tofuboy

PS. A lot of JDM engines do not pass smog check, make sure before it's too late.

Not at all true. Ca. has some crazy smog restrictions but as long as all the smog equipment is not removed (ie cat) and in perfect running order smog tests are nothing to worry about. I have many friends with JDM swaps and we all have passed emission tests.

Tofuboy
06-23-2003, 03:21 AM
I have seen some JDM engine that don't pass smog but can't recall which. There are some out there just won't pass because the ECU was never program to meet CA emission.

Add your comment to this topic!