Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Johnsons Klear (Clear Coating) Question

Hiroboy
06-18-2003, 03:24 AM
OK this is the first real time I've clear coated a model.
It's a Tamiya R33 Skyline painted with Real Nissan Midnight Purple Paint.
This has been thinned and airbrushed on, it now has 20 coats (airbrushing produces thin coats) and rubbed back, as the paint is pearl it requires a clear coat to bring out the purple in the paint, (otherwise it looks like matt black) which is noticable from running it under the cold water tap.
Right now the question : Can apply multiple coats and sand the clear coat (Johnsons Klear) and polish to give a good shine.

Thanks in adavnce

doraemon
06-18-2003, 03:43 AM
of course you can polish the clear coat, but... be careful!! if when you're sanding the paint you see a min quantity of the original paint... stop!!!, if the clear coat is removed there is a big difference and you must clear it again, its like rubbing to much the paint and reach the primer, this case the primer is the paint, you know? after that... polish it with the product of your choice, and get the high gloss finish!!! I did it with my clk-gtr, and well, if the model has decals.... be more carefull!!, you can screw up the decals if you sand too much, but... with time... it looks really nice, also be careful with the clear on the decals, what I did was place tamiya acrilic clear over them to protect against the clear lacquer, and.... worked!!!! :biggrin:

flyonthewall
06-18-2003, 04:03 AM
Why not use Halfords lacquer?

Hiroboy
06-18-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by flyonthewall
Why not use Halfords lacquer?
I tried that and found it was leaving it a bit matt and not letting
the pearl affect show as well.
Can I put Halfords/other make over Johnsons Klear ?

flyonthewall
06-18-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Hiroboy

I tried that and found it was leaving it a bit matt and not letting
the pearl affect show as well.
Can I put Halfords/other make over Johnsons Klear ?

Sometimes it goes a little cloudy after being sprayed, clears up when cured though. I wouldn't advise spraying it ove Johnsons, that stuff is quite delicate, think its acrylic based too.

My 350z has a pearlescant paint with halfords clear, you have seen what that looks like. Also you mentioned you rubbed back the paint, with metalics etc this is a no no! Spray the clear then polish, this could be why you have the matt look you mentioned.

skylinehks
06-18-2003, 04:52 AM
Hiro, use automotive clear...

two part clear...don't use other stuff, besides that, since you used real auto paint... LP2 right? Midnight purple for R33, because R32 didn't have the purple... btw the pearl, you won't see unless in sun light, but yes the clear will bring the pearls up from the paint so you can see better, but its still not very visiable unless if light hits the car.

Run a search for... another gtr, I got a purple R33 going on in there.

From California!!!

Peter

skylinehks
06-18-2003, 04:53 AM
mis reading... yes R33 =D not a R32 your building...

Depends, when I put on the clear coat, I had no orange peel, so no sanding needed, but you can use polish to clean up, and then model wax to set off the clear, then it will shine like crazy.

Ragnarok043
06-18-2003, 05:51 AM
Wait a minute!!! isnt Johnsons Klear, Future over here in the States im pretty sure it is. anyways you cant sand it, it will get foggy and you wont be able to polish it clear again. im not sure how well it would work if you went straight to the compound though.

Add your comment to this topic!