Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

K&N Air Filters All They Say?

xplode
06-17-2003, 09:22 PM
I am thinking of buying a k&n air filter for my 4th gen accord. Ive read that it can make upto 15hp increase, anyone have experience with air filters? are they even any different from OEM honda ones. Anyone who knows anything on the subject to help me decide whether to buy it or not.. thanks alot

Sluttypatton
06-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Don't expect any noticable improvement. Really it depends how bottled up your intake is by your air filter. If you have a super restrictive air filter on a high output motor, then it would be plausable for a 15 hp gain from changing the filter. On a regular engine, don't expect anything special. If you are planning on doing any high performance mods to your car in the future I would suggest it, as the more high performance your engine becomes, the more air it will need, causing the stock filter to become more of a bottle neck. The air filter alone won't make a huge difference. Chances are you won't even notice it.

Yes they are different, they use a cotton gauze sandwitched between wire mesh, and soaked with an oil. This oil/gauze combination provides better airflow, while maintaining (or surpassing) the filtering capability of a regular airfilter (which is made of paper).

BullShifter
06-17-2003, 11:16 PM
:werd:

Also the K&N's can be cleaned

strodda
06-17-2003, 11:34 PM
also you should cut a hole in the bottom of the stock box. the tube used for bringing in air is tiny. the k&n, like they said is washable, so its the last filter youll have to buy, ever. and it does add a nice sound too.

accordztech
06-18-2003, 01:46 AM
i believe k & n stopped making claims of increased HP. it was unreal and only in certain cars can u get that much power. the cameros produce mad power with the k &n..like 7hp but hondas and stuff only 1 or 2 not too much.

i have my opinions on k & n. do cut a hole in the bottom of the air box for more air flow...and less restriction.

xplode
06-24-2003, 10:30 AM
i saw this k&n Filter Demo machine at murrays, where you stick a k&n filter in the whole and the airflow is barely restricted from no filter at all, but whne you put the stock filter it, its like totally the opposite, barely any air gets in to make the little ball in the tube stay afloat. more airflow the higher the ball floats. kinda interesting im thinking of buying one just because of that, its a true to life expweriment no? i dont care about major improvement but just a little tiny bit..

xplode
06-25-2003, 01:02 PM
il let u no wut happens, anyone know if the oil from k&n can ruien the engine?

BullShifter
06-25-2003, 02:08 PM
il let u no wut happens, anyone know if the oil from k&n can ruien the engine?

Why are you sucking in the oil? When you oil the filter, you dont soak the shit out of it so the intake sucks it into the engine. Lightly apply the oil, follow directions!!!:icon16:

xplode
06-25-2003, 02:33 PM
lol no im not sucking in oil i dont even have a k&n yet,. but im saying from getting it new will i need to worry about the oil getting into the engine or is that not a problem

BullShifter
06-25-2003, 04:40 PM
From the factory you should have no problems with the oil. When you clean and apply the oil then you could damage the engine if you oil it too much!

xplode
06-25-2003, 07:13 PM
o, im going to just buy a new one after 20k miles. i not bothering to oil it myself.

Sluttypatton
06-25-2003, 09:40 PM
No, the oil wont ruin the engine. It is 100% safe and, if anything, will lubricate the engine that much better (although the small quantity of oil won't really make a difference). The oil, don't worry, it's harmless. Like Jackasssi said, don't oil the shit out of it, just follow the directions.

BullShifter
06-26-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by xplode
o, im going to just buy a new one after 20k miles. i not bothering to oil it myself.

:iceslolan

Why would you do that? Seems like a waste of $$$$$$$ to me.

xplode
06-28-2003, 09:23 AM
is it worth it to get a drop in k&n i dont care bout big performance. just maybe a tiny bit taht il notice.. worth it yes or no

Sluttypatton
06-28-2003, 09:00 PM
You probably won't notice anything.

BullShifter
06-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Te main reason why people install K&N air filters is because they last forever & can be cleaned unlike paper filters that need to be repalced every 15k or so. Replacing a paper filter 2 times cost the same as 1 K&N. They also have slighty greater airflow.

xplode
07-03-2003, 11:55 AM
i heared the sound my friends AEM Cai gives on his 2001 or 2002 acura cl type-S.. i wanted to cry its so sweet. but my dad wont let me get cai or short ram. so i was gonna get k&n drop in and drill a few small holes in the airbox? that sound like it might help my sound of my car at high RPM. thanks h0ezzz

xplode
07-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Plus once i get my rims i want to have my car look and sound big pimpin mmkay?

Add your comment to this topic!