Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Hick-up

Lincoln Head
11-07-2013, 05:30 AM
On-board Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis test (PC/ED)
Does anyone know if there is an on-board diagnostic tests that refers to the Powertrain Control? Transmission Indicator Showing E. Transmission just all at once started slipping. Checked oil level added 2½ quarts of tranie fluid, no help.. Anything else I could check before doing a rebuild??:disappoin

Update on the previous problem of the possible blow head gasket in April 2013??????????? WELL both sides had problems. Cylinders 7 & 8 had terrible leak down results on the other side was not terrible but was not right with cylinders 2 & 3. Anyways all the missing coolant was found in the exhaust pipes. So that added (rounded off) an extra $1300 to replace the Catalytic Converters and the Cat-Back exhaust mufflers. So all said and done $2000 and I was the labor. This was quit the challenge Guys but, I did it.. I wished it would have just been the promise of; “ your coolant outlet pipe and the pipe under it are leaking”:nono:

shorod
11-07-2013, 06:31 AM
There will be a corresponding diagnostic trouble code for the transmission error indication, unfortunately it may require a professional scan tool that can access the transmission diagnostics rather than just the powertrain codes.

Does the engine idle and run smoothly and the only symptom is the slipping transmission?

-Rod

Lincoln Head
11-07-2013, 11:52 AM
no man, it wasn't running bad at all. in fact it had only been back on the road for like three days before this trans problem. got a buddy that has a new snap-on diagnostic scanner (for the price he paid for it, it should fix the problem too. lol) side bar question--are the two lock nuts with the set screws ban adjustments?/

shorod
11-07-2013, 08:59 PM
I'd start by trying to pull the transmission diagnostic codes with the Snap-On scan tool long before suggesting you start tweaking band adjustments. There are some external mechanical adjusters but I'm not sure which are what.

-Rod

Lincoln Head
11-09-2013, 03:15 AM
First thing I did was check the oil level and found it was a quart and half low. The Oil looked a little dirty and smelled a little burnt, but I have seen have a lot worse in cars. Let me run down what is actually happening; the transmission has had a squeal going on with it since I bought the car but, it was not slipping. This all started in one moment I was on the highway during rush hour and needed to get over into the fast lane so I push the accelerator pedal down far enough so I knew it would kick down and, when it did in just a few second it was like you kick it in to neutral. I believe the transmission was in third gear and kick down into second before it kicked out of gear. In shock, I was trying everything to get it back into gear. That's everything I know to do while sitting in the driver seat. I move the gear shifter over to select shift and it went to first year. I shifted into second gear and tried to shift into third gear and there was no third. I was back to freewheeling and I pulled it back over into regular shift and it went to fourth gear as I accelerated it automatically shifted into overdrive. I was going again when I got off on the first exit and had to stop. It really didn't want to start again but I put it in select shift again and took off same procedure shifted into second gear. No third-year slapped the stick back over to regular shift car itself shifted into fourth and fifth. I'm about 100 miles from home when this happened. I talked myself in to driving the car home because 99% of the driving was going to be highway driving. I was concerned about the transmission slipping but, give or take 100 the RPMs were matching the speed of the car. Made it home so this is where I am at now with the problem. I definitely plan to pull the codes before going any farther. Is there possibly any easy fix to this problem or should I just start planning for the rebuild? DARN-IT

Lincoln Head
11-20-2013, 02:03 AM
Transmission hiccup update. Alright guys I have had decodes for a few days now and been doing some research on my own to see what I could find. Here are the codes that were present;
P0745-Line pressure control solenoid fault
P0734-Gear 4 incorrect ratio
P2106-Tag system forced limited power
P2135-Throttle pedal position sensor switch fault
Ok my first question is; Is it possible that the code P0745 is the reason for the other codes or, is that too out there, to be possible??
The second question and most important how can I be certain on what transmission is in my 2003 3.9 Lincoln LS that was manufactured 03/03? With my limited knowledge there could be one of these three I suppose; 5R55N 5R55S 5R55W. I'm getting ready to order parts and, I am not sure what transmission to order them for. I think it’s the 5R55N but, not a 100% sure on it. I have notice a tag on the left side of the tranny will this have the correct number on it I am looking for?
Well the fix, it doesn’t look too bad….Nothing like the removing the heads.(that was something else but, with the help of a couple of friends WE conquered the challenge and have the peace of mind knowing it was done right the first time..copy that)
How bout anything else I might need to know. lol

shorod
11-21-2013, 06:49 AM
For the 2003 model year LS, the factory service manual only lists the 5R55S transmission, regardless of engine.

Considering how many issues Ford has had with the solenoids in the 5 speed auto transmissions, starting there is not a bad decision. The throttle body code would probably more likely be caused by a misfire than a transmission issue. Are you confident the misfire has been fixed already?

-Rod

Lincoln Head
11-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Thanks Rod, On the throttle body code being a miss fire; well I'm quite sure it hasn’t been fix cause, I haven’t considered this. I haven’t drove the Lincoln since this started but, I do start it say-- at least every other day and I haven’t noticed any obvious signs or symptoms of any engine misfiring or ruff running.

On the transmission I don’t understand all I'm reading on the code P0734-(Gear 4 incorrect ratio). What is this, it’s like everybody has something different to say about it? I think for right now I'm just going to be able to afford a 5R55N OEM TRANSMISSION SOLENOID BLOCK off e-bay for a $220 and cross my fingers. Lol

Thanks again Rod. Any other pertinent info that I might need to know that could be critical to know on this>>>

Kevin :screwy:

shorod
11-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Here's what the Ford factory service manual has to say about the P0734 as it pertains to the 2003 Lincoln LS:

Description: 4th gear ratio error
Condition: No 4th gear
Component: SSA, SSB, SSC or internal parts
Symptom: Correct gear ratio not achieved for commanded gear. Shift errors may also be due to other transmission concerns (stuck valves, damaged friction material). Engine rpm could be higher or lower than expected. May flash TCIL.

There is a troubleshooting guide for the diagnostic code I can send to you. If interested, send me a Private Message with the request, your vehicle model and year, and an e-mail address for you that can accept PDF attachments.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!