Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starting problems

bsherb
11-04-2013, 10:35 PM
I have a 98 k 1500 with a 5.7 and 148,000 miles. Last week when I went to start it it only clicked. Turned key off and back on and started normally. was good for several days then did it again. Now it just took 8 tries before it started. Battery is good, alternator is good and checked/cleaned battery connections. No luck, still doing it. Is my solenoid going out? It is original starter.

mopar man
11-04-2013, 11:17 PM
if its just clicking it could be the selenoid on its way out your lucky its giving you a "hint" usually they just quit all together when you least expect it and with that many miles on a original starter it wouldnt hurt to replace it a little preventive measure as I like to call them if ya dont wanna spend the cash get it pulled off and have it checked out

j cAT
11-05-2013, 07:35 AM
I have a 98 k 1500 with a 5.7 and 148,000 miles. Last week when I went to start it it only clicked. Turned key off and back on and started normally. was good for several days then did it again. Now it just took 8 tries before it started. Battery is good, alternator is good and checked/cleaned battery connections. No luck, still doing it. Is my solenoid going out? It is original starter.

when it fails hit the starter , with the key to crank . if it starts cranking replace the starter .. first I would make sure all connections and the one going from the solenoid to motor is secure and clean.

bsherb
11-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Yeah thanks. I think I just need to replace starter and solenoid since it has 148000 miles on it. Not really looking forward to it though.

Add your comment to this topic!